About uploading images...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok I have made some changes and I THINK things work but I would like people to test them.

This is to help people who want to upload images directly from their PC (without going through a 3rd party or other site). Images from external sites will work the same way as always.

When posting a new thread or reply:

(1) The "insert image" button I have changed so it ONLY allows images to be linked from URL. This is to avoid confusion with attachments.

(2) If you want to upload an image attachment from your PC you have two options. The first is the "paperclip" button located right next to the "smiley" icon above the text box. The second option is the "Manage Attachments" button underneath the text box. Each will take you to the same place.

(2a) When you click one of the two buttons listed above, you should see a pop-up window offering you the option to upload up to 5 images from your PC, or 5 images from an external URL. Once you select your images, you should press "upload" and the images should upload, at which point you will press "close window" and the images should be listed in the "Manage Attachments " section under the text box.

(3) Enter your text, hit "submit new thread" or "reply" and you should see your images in the forum post.

Try it out!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is a test

And here you should see a Fiji pic...

By the way when you click the thumbnail, you will see a pop-up window with the large image in it. This pop-up window will auto-size itself based on how large your browser window is. If you want to see a larger pic, make sure your browser is full screen...

PS I will move this thread out of bonsai discussion once people have had a change to play with it....

Attachments

• fiji.jpg
    fiji.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 36

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lets see if it worked?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 48

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yep, simple enough... And this is a pic on my iPad that I took with my iPhone... Didn't come out sideways or anything!

Looks good to me man!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Test.........

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 40

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Now Brian you just have to send me that tree, and I'll compare it to the original image and see if it worked! :)

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_0129.JPG
Another test. Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1149-001.JPG
    IMG_1149-001.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
here goes...

EXCELLENT. Does all 5 at once, and fast too.
Thank you for this fix.

Attachments

• IMG_2800.jpg
    IMG_2800.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2780.jpg
    IMG_2780.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 8

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
test ...petrified wood

Attachments

• Petrified Wood 1a.jpg
    Petrified Wood 1a.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Petrified Wood 2a.jpg
    Petrified Wood 2a.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 15

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
question for BNUT

So how do I get to my archived photos to use them??? I don't see them anywhere in the manage attachments anymore.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice Itoigawa!
Ian

Thanks! I was told at time of purchase it s Kishu, but I can't tell the difference... It does seem to have slightly "tighter"foliage than the Simpaku I purchased most recently but there isn't a huge difference.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So how do I get to my archived photos to use them??? I don't see them anywhere in the manage attachments anymore.

I don't think the "attachments" are intended to work that way. If you wanted to reuse them, it might be better to create an album in the Photo Galleries...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So all those photos that were there are now gone? I wasn't using them as an actual filing system, but it was easy to go and get earlier things I'd uploaded to drag them and drop them. So there isn't such a function anymore, just so I'm clear?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So all those photos that were there are now gone? I wasn't using them as an actual filing system, but it was easy to go and get earlier things I'd uploaded to drag them and drop them. So there isn't such a function anymore, just so I'm clear?

No, they aren't "gone" - I just don't like the way the system files them. I don't find it particularly easy to use.

If you want to see all of your attachments, go to your USER CP. If you look down the menu, under MY MESSAGES and MY SUBSCRIPTIONS you will see MY SETTINGS. Under miscellaneous you will see "attachments". Click on that and you will see every attachment you have ever posted :) Also note that you can view them as text links, or as thumbnails (I prefer the thumbnails).

Is this what you were looking for?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
attachment.php

Ok so here is a quick drag and drop. I opened two browser windows - one with the "reply" text box open and one showing my USER CP and attachment thumbnails.

In my reply text box, I click on "insert image", and I drag the thumbnail into the text line. It works, but it isn't particularly intuitive.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
attachment.php

Ok so here is a quick drag and drop. I opened two browser windows - one with the "reply" text box open and one showing my USER CP and attachment thumbnails.

In my reply text box, I click on "insert image", and I drag the thumbnail into the text line. It works, but it isn't particularly intuitive.

Japanese Maple

Attachments

• DSC_1328.jpg
    DSC_1328.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 64

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Japanese Maple

Note Vance - if your image shows up as a thumbnail in the post, it is an ATTACHMENT. If it shows up in line with the text in full size (like mine did) it is an IMAGE.

In order to get your image to look like my koi image, you have to use the "insert image" button, and you have to have your image already uploaded SOMEWHERE. In this case, my koi image is already uploaded to bonsainut (originally used in another thread) so when I hit the "insert image" button and dragged the thumbnail of my attachment over to it, I was basically just pasting a URL link to it (where it is already posted on another part of bonsainut).

attachment.php

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Note - it is generally "friendlier" on the web site to use attachments rather than images - particularly if your image is large. If your thread is loaded with large images, every time someone looks at the thread, the server has to download all those huge images. Otherwise if your thread has attachments, the server only has to download the thumbnails, and people only see the large image if they click on the thumbnail link.

It saves bandwidth and improves response time...

Top Bottom