About Wee Tree Farm

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After hearing Wee Tree Farm had closed (Corvalis, OR), I did a little investigative work. I found this article:

Bonsai Comes Full Circle

Brenda Powell

bonsai.jpg

It’s a funny thing about life and gardening, they return to their beginnings. So it is with bonsai at Garland Nursery. We have enjoyed a good relationship with Wee Tree Farm and then Wee Tree, LLC. since 1986, both separate businesses with wonderful owners. However, that’s not where Garland Nursery’s connection to bonsai began.

It all started in the 70’s with a dear, kilt-wearing Scotsman named Stuart Fraser. He was a unique and multi-talented individual. I remember taking work breaks with him in the old glass greenhouse, since torn down. There he sat with coffee and cigarette, plus Triscuits and cream cheese. He enjoyed sharing, in his lovely Scottish brogue, about his life story, which included time living on a tea plantation in India. He was a landscape designer, an avid fan of heaths and heathers, and an expert pruner. Also, he had a passion for bonsai. He talked my parents into opening a bonsai department. Some company must have been doing cabling work in the area, because the display tables were mostly large wooden spools in a couple different sizes. Stuart had a work table and stool in the bonsai area and he would work on fashioning the plants into wonderful works of art. In fact, the bonsai area is right where it remains today. Stuart hand-lettered signs for the bonsai in Japanese characters. I remember being amazed at that knowledge of foreign symbols. We sold pots, wire, plants, tools, figures and those wonderful finished bonsai. I don’t remember about selling soil, but I do remember Stuart sifting soil before it went into a bonsai pot.

All things change and eventually Stuart moved with his wife, a new lawyer, to Portland where she joined a law firm. He continued to come down to the Corvallis area to do pruning for many of his former customers. He would stop in to visit, when he was down this way.

diane.jpg

In the early 1980’s, Garland Nursery hired Diane Lund. Diane hailed from Minnesota by way of Alaska and she had a passion for bonsai. Diane soon took over managing the Garland Nursery bonsai department. Also, she rented a home on the nursery property. In 1986, Diane decided to take the plunge of operating a wholesale bonsai business. She named it Wee Tree Farm and worked out an arrangement with my parents, Don and Sandra, to take over the bonsai department operating as a separate business (what those in the business world like to call a concessionaire.) She used land at the nursery next to her dwelling for plants, eventually building a greenhouse and office. She imported pottery and had bonsai soil specifically made with the Wee Tree name.

peggy.jpg

As her sales expanded she needed more room, which she found in Kings Valley. She began online sales, eventually hiring Dan White to operate that. She had a longtime manager of the retail space at Garland, by the name of Peggy. When Peggy retired, Diane hired Rose Bailey.

rose.jpg

Again lives changed and Diane decided it was time to return home to Minnesota. In 2014, Dan and Rose bought Wee Tree Farm, renaming it Wee Tree, LLC. Rose poured her heart into the retail portion and Dan continued with online sales. Sadly, Rose and Dan decided to close Wee Tree at Garland Nursery on September 19, 2016.

Garland Nursery had a big decision to make, whether to continue with a bonsai department operated solely by us. We’re talking 30 years since the nursery has managed a bonsai department. Are we up to the challenge? We hope so.

brad_saindon.jpg

Brad Saindon, is managing the area. He is a former college and Olympic volleyball coach who now is using his coaching skills in the bonsai department. We are happy to have helping us Dr. CJ “Bud” Weiser, former head of the horticulture department and Dean of College of Agricultural Sciences at Oregon State University. Since retiring 23 years ago, Bud has pursued his artistic interests in styling, growing, and selling finished bonsai trees and sculpting in stone and bronze.

bud.jpg

There are many other staff contributors to the new/old bonsai department at Garland Nursery, giving it a little twist. Kathy and Erica worked hard to redesign the space and display product. They have incorporated different items into the space, including Asian statuary, gongs, and an inviting patio set. Theo, a second generation Garland staff member, is helping out with set-up and learning a lot about growing bonsai. Brad will be the primary person in bonsai, Wednesday through Saturday, and most Sundays.

bonsai_budda.jpg

The bonsai area is now fully open. We hope you take an opportunity to come out and take a look. As we learn and grow, please feel free to offer us feedback about items we may be missing. There will continue to be bonsai classes/workshops on the second Saturday of every month at 11 am. Brad, Bud, and guest teachers will be conducting these sessions. The next one is on November 12th and will cover Over-wintering Your Bonsai and related topics.

Finally, a word of thanks to everyone (some named here and some not) that have contributed to bonsai at Garland Nursery for the last 45 years. It’s been a pleasure working with all of you. We look forward to continuing the Garland Nursery tradition of offering one-stop shopping for all things bonsai.

So it appears that Wee Tree has morphed back into its parent/sibling business, which is Garland Nursery. It is located at the same place, more or less, though I never physically visited either the former or the later - I strictly did online business with them.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to be clear...they are no longer shipping individual bags or flat rate boxes, but only pallets of soil.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wonder how much it would cost to ship one pallet to my door in Houston.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wonder how much it would cost to ship one pallet to my door in Houston.

To your door is expensive. To the service center is not. The last time I did it, it was about $300 per pallet from Wee Tree. But you have to go to the service center with a truck that can handle a 1 ton pallet. We took a pickup with a flatbed trailer and loaded two pallets on at the service center. For delivery there are additional fees, particularly if you do not have a loading dock and a forklift.

Scott

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To your door is expensive. To the service center is not. The last time I did it, it was about $300 per pallet from Wee Tree. But you have to go to the service center with a truck that can handle a 1 ton pallet. We took a pickup with a flatbed trailer and loaded two pallets on at the service center. For delivery there are additional fees, particularly if you do not have a loading dock and a forklift.

Scott[/QUOTE

Scott
Thanks Scott. Maybe next time you do your bulk order, if you don't mind, I would love to be part of the group. I don't have a truck but I can help lifting.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks Scott. Maybe next time you do your bulk order, if you don't mind, I would love to be part of the group. I don't have a truck but I can help lifting.

Certainly, but I’m good for this repotting season. In the meantime, there are a couple places in town where you can pick up these components at a modest markup. Try Timeless Trees or Quality Feed in the Heights. Southwest Fertilizer used to carry red lava rock.

S

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Certainly, but I’m good for this repotting season. In the meantime, there are a couple places in town where you can pick up these components at a modest markup. Try Timeless Trees or Quality Feed in the Heights. Southwest Fertilizer used to carry red lava rock.

S
Oh please think of me next time. Will get some from Timeless the next time am there for repotting.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It doesn't appear that they are selling trees online anymore. I have had many a wee tree thru my collection, and still have a few keepers. Nice article!

Top Bottom