About yamadori. And other Japanese terms tossed around here

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I Like them young and smooth, not so much when they get old and fat....I'm talking about trees! You guys stop! :eek:
I dunno what the right 'term' is for that.

HOT babeo_O!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think many of the Japanese terms we seek to use/emulate and came into existence, not to humiliate the Western minds, but to provide terminology for things that were more bonsai specific. The goad to described things more elegantly than crumby crumpled trunk, torn up piece of dead-wood, something to poke you in the eye with, or the area where the tree enters the ground, not to mention a lot of bleached old dead wood.
The thought that the Japanese don't do bastardize Western terms and lingo is silly. They do that ALL THE TIME.

Do a search on Gairaigo or wasei-eigo....American dog=Amerikan Doggu; Apartment-Apato; butter-bata...the list is very long.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gairaigo_and_wasei-eigo_terms#Examples

Vance is correct. Using Japanese terminology in the west isn't a reverence for Japanese stuff. They simply have more precise terms for parts of bonsai, even if the exact meaning isn't conveyed completely. Yamadori is shorter than "wild collected tree," Nebari is shorter than "that area from the beginning of the surface roots to the trunk," etc.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Some of the guys in the majors making eight-figure salaries grew up playing ‘besoboru’ in their native Japan. ⚾

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last edited:
Top Bottom