ABP under attack

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi,

this afternoon I have had a look to my ABP and the pot was sticky, I was thinking about the usual black animal and give a touch/systemical product ( CLOSER PFnPE --- Sulfoxaflor) .
Then I bring the plant inside for a closed look and found plenty of these little animal ( I removed by hand 20).
What are ? how I can get rid of them ?

Tomorrow I will have a close look to all my other pines

20230320_213617.jpg

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Were they eating the needles? Could be a type of sawfly larvae.

I've only seen them on pitch pine here, and they looked a bit different - but there's a variety when I image search.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi, I think they take the wrong pine, the ABP has the needles very hard ahahaha but I have also some scott pines and this is another story, I want to find a solution to get rid of them.

Any idea ?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Appears to be a caterpillar which is a general term for larvae of any butterfly or moth. Most species eat plants then make a pupa and finally transform into the adult moth. This is obviously one which feeds on pine trees.
Yours do not appear to be hairy like the processionary caterpillars that form colonies in pine trees but that's the only thing I get when searching pine tree and caterpillar. https://www.healthplanspain.com/blo...xt=If you live here in,fatal to dogs and cats.

Systemic insecticides are the surest way to get rid of pests eating plants but I think systemics are now banned in EU.
You may be able to find Bacillis thuringensis which is a naturally occurring bacterium that is very effective but only affects caterpillars so should get these as they munch on your pines. Usually sold under trade names DiPel and Thuricide.
Most caterpillars are susceptible to the 'safer' insecticides like pyrethrum or neem oil should also treat most caterpillars.

Reactions: R0b
Top Bottom