Absolute Beginner *Chinese Elm*

sticky_paws

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi wonderful knowledgeable fellow bonsai enthusiasts!! I have jumped in to the world of indoor bonsai with both feet and bought myself a beautiful Chinese Elm approx 10 years old.

i’m an absolute beginner in the UK and would appreciate all the help & advice I can get please.

So far Yoshi, (yes I’ve named it!), is sat on my south facing kitchen windowsill on some gravel on a humidity tray filled with a little water.

What care / maintenance do Chinese Elms need?

I have no tools, what essentials should I get?

Watering - am I ok to submerge once a week for 30 minutes, leave to drain and pop back on the tray? I’m not exceptionally good at remembering to water.

Feeding - I have some BioGold and have been told to place a pellet and inch apart all the way round once a month. Is this correct? I also have some drip feeder food.

Moss - for aesthetics I’d like to add some moss; is this advisable and if so which moss and how please?

If you’ve made it this far THANK YOU for reading, basically how is the easiest way to care for my little Yoshi please?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Put it outside in your garden (most important step).
Water when it gets dry, not on a schedule. At the moment it probably will be daily.
Water from the top, not by submersion.
Biogold will be fine, keep using it until about october. Don’t use the drip things.
Look for chinese elm care info on the bonsai4me website (UK oriented care information)
Right now the only tool you need is scissors.
Moss is usually just used for exhibitions.
Get hold of an introductory book, such as ‘Bonsai’ by Peter Warren.
For the first year, just learn to look after it.
Protect from the cold when temps get below -5c.
Worry about repotting next April.

sticky_paws

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you!!!! Just a few questions if I may please ….

It was bought as an indoor bonsai am I ok to pop it outside?

May I ask why not to submerse for watering and why not to use drip feeders - just for knowledge purposes 😃.

I have a couple of Bonsai books coming (RHS The Little Book of Bonsai and Bonsao Basics by Colin Lewis) but shall definately invest in the one by Peter Warren too - thank you!!

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Outside is better. A chinese elm will survive for a little while inside, long enough for garden centres and big outlets to make money from them. You are fine to put it straight outside. If you reslly want one that will live inside longer-term, Ficus are more suitable. Don’t use the ‘humidity tray’ thing by the way, they’re pointless.
Top watering is preferable because it allows salts to be flushed put of the soil. The fertiliser you’re using relies on regular moistening. Submersion is sometimes useful but you’ll end up with a scabby crust on top of the soil.
Drip feeders are basically rubbish, you have no control over the rate, and biogold is a better option.
Most of the info in the Colin Lewis book will be good, but it was written a while ago so some may be dated in terms of modern thinking.
Enjoy the tree.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There seems to be at least on bonsai outlet offering Chinese elm as an indoor bonsai. While it may be possible to keep them healthy indoors under certain conditions the reality is that most houses are not suitable and these poor trees just slowly die. If you search Chinese elm here you will probably find pages of threads on exactly this subject.
Chinese elm are outdoor trees and are much easier to maintain outdoors. They are actually a very resilient and forgiving species for bonsai and cope with winter cold and summer heat provided they have enough water.

I have found that soaking the pot once a week in summer helps maintain better water penetration to the roots but must only be used in conjunction with proper daily watering on the other days. Watering well is something that has to be learned. Bonsai pots are small and dry out really quick in summer so watering will be crucial to keeping your new tree alive. My bonsai usually need water twice a day during summer but frequency can vary according to local weather, pot size, soil type and species. I doubt that once a week watering will be enough.

I’m not exceptionally good at remembering to water.
This does not bode well for your tree. To keep it alive you will need to develop the habit of checking at least every day and twice a day is even better.
I would not worry about tools at this stage. The first tools you will need is for trimming long shoots as (if) it grows. Any scissors or secateurs will do for a start. Other tools probably won't be needed for a year or 2.

Let's just concentrate on keeping the tree alive for a few months then move on to moss, maintenance, etc.

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep many UK retailers list Chinese Elm as indoor trees but they really thrive outdoors, at least here in the SE doesnt really get cold enough to trouble them - I think it's pure business to offer more indoor options attractive to the non-hobbyist. Outside in the sun you will get more growth so more fun pruning practice, and you may get a bit of natural moss you like too after a few months. If you find local wildlife is stealing your expensive Biogold on the regular you can get little plastic cages to hold them in place. Only scissors are needed right now and if funds are tight they could just be small, sharp, clean household scissors rather than proper bonsai shears - you are just going to be snipping little 1mm shoots for a while to keep it in check.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use every thing in the book for ferts, and I just looked up Biogold for the hell of it. 240 grams for $22. Are you kidding me? At 4-5-4 that's $22÷((240g÷454) x (4+5+4%)=.0687#)= $320/# of active ingredients. Astounding! Compare that to Milorganite @ $15/32# @6-4-0 = $46.68/# of active ingredients. Milorganite is made from Milwaukee's sewage system solids.

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Take the time and get to know your little tree. With just one tree it won't take but a minute to water it daily as it needs it. Soon you will get to the point that it is as beneficial to you (stress reduction, relaxation, reflection of your day, etc) as it is to your tree. Then you will be quick to notice any changes negative or positive that happen to your tree. Don't rush in and put 10 pounds of wire on a 1 pound tree because you saw someone do that on YouTube. Bonsai trees may be small for the most part, but they don't grow overnight. Think about the styling that you may want, ask people here for their advice, look up what others have done with their trees for inspiration. Go slow and enjoy the journey,

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The CE Mallsai contest idea has me researching, so I spotted this in Brooklyn Botanic Gardens' Growing Bonsai Indoors, 2013:

"Chinese elm is a classic example of a deciduous bonsai and one of the few trees in that category adaptable for indoor growing. The many cultivars generally belong in one of two groups. Cultivars with rough bark tend to be hardier and should be grown outdoors. Cultivars with smooth bark can be grown outdoors year-round but can also handle growing indoors year-round. Chinese elm can be an evergreen if kept indoors with warm temperatures, but it is best for the longevity of the tree to give it some sort of rest period with lower temperatures during winter indoors. The cooler its winter area, the more leaves drop. This is normal and will keep the bonsai vigorous."

Best wishes!

sticky_paws

Seedling
Reaction score
Quite a few different options and ideas here - all good food for thought thank you. I will definitely take some time to get to know Yoshi and let him settle in and hope he doesn’t look too many leaves during the transition.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use every thing in the book for ferts, and I just looked up Biogold for the hell of it. 240 grams for $22. Are you kidding me? At 4-5-4 that's $22÷((240g÷454) x (4+5+4%)=.0687#)= $320/# of active ingredients. Astounding! Compare that to Milorganite @ $15/32# @6-4-0 = $46.68/# of active ingredients. Milorganite is made from Milwaukee's sewage system solids.
That's a typogoofical error. It should read $4.68 per #.

sticky_paws

Seedling
Reaction score
Quick question : in my south facing garden I have two areas … full sun or full shade (all day!), I don’t want to keep moving him especially as I’m not home all day - where is the best place to position Yoshi please?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Please post a photo of Yoshi. CE belong in full or mostly sun, should cycle wet, dry, wet, dry, but never get bone dry. Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi sticky_paws,

i to live in the UK and also have Chinese Elm. It is common for garden centres and some bonsai outlets to sell the Chinese Elm as an indoor tree, but its not, keeping it indoors is an option for this tree, but it will need far more care and attention, and will require additional lighting as no matter how much sun is coming through your windows it will not be enough long term.

Its also a deciduous tree so needs the autumn & winter colds to signal it to go dormant and rest, this will be hard for you to simulate indoors in a centrally heated house, and then there’s watering if your time is limited indoors I think will be harder again because a central heated house will dry out the pot quickly. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I would echo the advice above and get this tree outside. Then check out the mind blowing information and videos available on this site and you tube to help you learn about the tree and plan what you want to do with it.

Also fill in your location etc. So people can help you further, I am sure wherever you decide to house this tree people will help you on this forum.

I’m in the Midlands, where in the UK are you ?

sticky_paws

Seedling
Reaction score
Please post a photo of Yoshi. CE belong in full or mostly sun, should cycle wet, dry, wet, dry, but never get bone dry. Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.
Here’s a photo of Yoshi soaking up some rays here in the UK

Attachments

• B33127C7-B38F-4C5E-88CD-601D7A21D886.jpeg
    B33127C7-B38F-4C5E-88CD-601D7A21D886.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom