Acacia, Flat Top, Light Bulb, or Pierneef ??

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Good people, I solicit suggestions as to where this path should lead. I bought this a couple of weeks ago from a former club member who is now dispersing his collection. Chinese elm, indeterminate years old, 24" from pot-top to twig-top. I know I'll put it in a wider, flatter pot next spring, but I think I need to decide what the tree should look like in addition to having new shoes.

The previous owner admitted to wishing he had taken a different direction with the tree years ago, but somehow it "spoke to me" as it is. But I'm not sure where to go next. A true flat top (as I understand it) won't work, will it? That just doesn't make sense at all to my inner eye.

I think the easiest thing to do is start working toward a "Pierneef" style. (I had to look that one up.) It's already rounded on top, so that should work OK.

I a real flat-top acacia style has a lot of appeal, in my mind at least, but I'm not sure about that as a sustainable form. However - I like it better that the round-top Pierneef shape it resembles now. -- I think so today, anyway.

My real fear is that I'll end up with a potentially nice tree that looks like the "light bulb" shape I see too often in poorly cared for landscapes. That's just ugly.

So the floor is open. Suggestions? A radical chop to about 8" and regrowing the top completely? I'm willing to consider all sorts of options.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man this speaks to me to. Never seen a elm shaped like this. I love it ;)
If it was mine, I would gradually start planting it deeper to get those roots under the soil eventually. Very Very rarely do a Acacia expose its roots.
As to the top...I would go umbrella (pierneef). Its well on its way already. The hard work of getting the primaries to split in the right way is done already. Its done very believable to. I would start opening it up on the top, to get a wider spread, and start aiming to get that sharp edges (like my avatar). The finer ramification is the real challenging and exciting part for me...:)
I think you have something exciting and unique that you can be very proud of. Good buy ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah....that's pimp!

F chopping....

I saw this on the main screen yesterday and was like WTF? A lightbulb drawing!

I'm with a much wider pot....

And spread that canopy out and let it ramify....

This is a raw ass tree!

Sorce

Top Bottom