Acacia Styling

M_Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Started this tree from seed a few years ago. I've just been cutting branches without too much planning. I'm not getting the ramification I want and I want to take styling a little more seriously. Whenever I prune branches they seem to get replaced by another branch growing in the same direction which just makes the branches thicker without giving me any new branches heading in different directions. I want to style it like the tree below. How do I do that? What steps do I need to take? I have no idea what I'm doing so the more detail the better. Thanks!

Attachments

• acacia.jpg
    acacia.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9467.jpeg
    IMG_9467.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9466.jpeg
    IMG_9466.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9465.jpeg
    IMG_9465.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9464.jpeg
    IMG_9464.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 26

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There's no location in your profile. Makes it so much easier to give better advice based on locations.
Looks like a South African acacia from here so I have no first hand knowledge but I do know some Australian Acacias.
Many of ours also don't respond very well to trimming. The best results I've had is to allow the shoots to grow a bit longer before cutting. That sometimes helps to get more than 1 replacement shoot.

M_Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
There's no location in your profile. Makes it so much easier to give better advice based on locations.
Looks like a South African acacia from here so I have no first hand knowledge but I do know some Australian Acacias.
Many of ours also don't respond very well to trimming. The best results I've had is to allow the shoots to grow a bit longer before cutting. That sometimes helps to get more than 1 replacement shoot.
I’m in California.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The best results I've had is to allow the shoots to grow a bit longer before cutting. That sometimes helps to get more than 1 replacement shoot.
This, plus when you cut back cut back harder on longer branches. Don't just nibble away at the ends of the branches.

Top Bottom