Acacia xanthophloea Koorsboom Fever Tree

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I dug it out today...everybody says they throw branches off and are not good for bonsai...but I had to try it...Love the luminescent yellowish green on the trunk. It is so beautiful.
Does anyone have one?
People say the tap root should be reduced in stages...but I did not see many fine roots on the tap root. Most of them were up near the surface. It was planted in a very sandy loose soil so I did not disturb the surface roots at all and just combed them a bit on the outside. This acacia I am told is not good material for bonsai.If root disturbed, it is likely to throw off branches. I believe galpinii and burkei are much easier than this one. So I am not sure if what I did is OK. Only time will show. I also am not sure if I transplanted it at the right time like a deciduous tree, or I was better off transplanting it when it is warm.

Which one do you think should be the front? ABC or D?
And where to chop? Above 1,2 or 3?
I really need help with this one.
A
16013_10201981359567617_7832597700553343970_n.jpg

10345821_10201981359687620_4958457466002407095_n.jpg

10514587_10201981359767622_5094805664675469192_n.jpg

10402939_10201981359727621_9091338084166152076_n.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like side A as the front and would cut off 1 and 3. If you keep #2 the movement of the trunk swings back over center. If you keep #1 you have movement down low and then the trunk goes straight up to the top. If you were to keep #3 you would have movement but it would mostly go to the right.
I got to thinking as I typed this. Are you testing us?
Oh, forgot to say that I don't have one of these.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As posted at FB, I prefer B or maybe somewhere between A & B. Can you expose the nebari a bit? It might help finalize the decision.

I will remove the lower branches first, finalize the front selection before I chop. I won't remove any major upper branch until then.

Looks nice and worth experimenting with. Good luck!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I like side A as the front and would cut off 1 and 3. If you keep #2 the movement of the trunk swings back over center. If you keep #1 you have movement down low and then the trunk goes straight up to the top. If you were to keep #3 you would have movement but it would mostly go to the right.
I got to thinking as I typed this. Are you testing us?
Oh, forgot to say that I don't have one of these.
He hehe! I am not testing you. I believe that two or more heads are always better than one...even if it is as big as mine.:D
My initial idea was to cut both one and 2 off. What worries me if I leave 2 as new leader, I will have the dreaded C on the trunk?
If I leave 1 (not remove anything) I will have no taper and two long straight section...I am a bit confused here...he he he! I truly need to hear if there is a better solution.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
As posted at FB, I prefer B or maybe somewhere between A & B. Can you expose the nebari a bit? It might help finalize the decision.

I will remove the lower branches first, finalize the front selection before I chop. I won't remove any major upper branch until then.

Looks nice and worth experimenting with. Good luck!
I could not answer you there...somehow it kept telling me the post is blocked.
There is no nebari to speak of. There are lots of tiny fibrous roots under. It had a tap root only and I removed most of it...will remove the rest during the next repot.
I was hoping to use the lower branches for generating some more taper. I will try to take a picture from the angle you suggested...
The more I look at it the more I feel I will need to cut it at 4...he he he! Much lower than 3. Probably just above the second left branch and use it as a new leader. I was just hoping for some reassurance and better ideas.

Attachments

• 31 07 2014 019 (2).jpg
    31 07 2014 019 (2).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 31 07 2014 021 (2).jpg
    31 07 2014 021 (2).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Keeping the lower branches to build taper may work but because of the position they are on...it just might create a pigeon breast or worsen what is there now. Just something for you to keep in mind and watch out for.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Thanks Dario...need to figure out if this tree heals wound at all. No info on it anywhere. That is another thing to consider.

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Dario...need to figure out if this tree heals wound at all. No info on it anywhere. That is another thing to consider.
There's nothing better than the black deadwood against that green bark.......if you'll get that in bonsai culture is another matter.....

Hope that one survives, good start. In nature it's a very sparse tree, think that is the main problem

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Never thought of that Gerhatd...You have given me a great idea...never thought of jin on it...but just chopping and healing it.
I believe the wood is very hard...not sure now hard it will be on a young tree like this, but the position being on top will prevent rot.
I am gong to try it and I can always remove it if it does not look good, and I can color it with a die for leather...it penetrates the wood and stays in.

Top Bottom