Accent Containers - why do you use?

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Folks,
I set up the title as “Containers” and not “Pots” deliberately. I’ve recently seen a lot of imaginative containers being used for accent plants in recent Bonsai shows especially in Europe. So I hoped to start a thread where we could share our own ideas for accent containers……..
Do you have any that aren’t the standard accent clay pot?, if so why not post it here and share with us all.
I’ve got one in a sea shell and am making up some wooden ones out of small wooden burls – I’ll post ASAP.
Cheers Graham

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have several oyster shells that I have saved for this purpose... they have crazy shapes etc and might just work.... beyond that most everything is in miniature pots but we are collecting more and more strange containers (usually clay) that we intend to use... I too would like to see what others are using.... it's often a very fun and I know that at least one club (i believe in England) has successfully held an entire show of just accents/companions

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Here is a couple out of melted plactic
xJF0P.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'll have to dig for photos. I saw an accent in a aged, split bamboo that I thought was very effective. It was propped up on one end with a cross-piece of bamboo so that it didn't roll, but at the same time was at an angle. It was very natural looking.

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Here something I did several years ago at club show. No container at all, just on a peice of slate tile. Sorry I dont have better picturesaccent 2.gif. accent.jpg

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Folks,
Crust - outside of the box -very creative, Thanks Eric, Smoke (Al) - very nicely put together, thanks Bubba-this gives me an idea for some left over small tiles.
Here are a couple of photos of a local sedum in a shell from last summer and yesterday.
Keep them coming,
Cheers Graham
SeduminshellJuly2011-1.jpgSedumShellAccent June2012.jpg

Attachments

• SedumShell Accent June2012.jpg
    SedumShell Accent June2012.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 99
  • SedumShellAccentJune2012.jpg
    SedumShellAccentJune2012.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 102

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
fantastic use of our native sedum!!! really like the shells you chose as well!

aidan13

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wilmington, NC (8a) and Charlotte, NC (7b)
USDA Zone
8a
I'll have to dig for photos. I saw an accent in a aged, split bamboo that I thought was very effective. It was propped up on one end with a cross-piece of bamboo so that it didn't roll, but at the same time was at an angle. It was very natural looking.

i know exactly the one you are talking about! I must have seen it on the internet somewhere.

aidan13

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wilmington, NC (8a) and Charlotte, NC (7b)
USDA Zone
8a
I did a bunch of these little guys just using miscellaneous little plants pulled up from the garden. Not the most permanent container idea, but they were nice while they lasted! (The birds eventually got them)

7398633350_7e788179d1_z.jpg

Top Bottom