Accents and Spring approaching

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So far all of my 2-3 year old sticks have done well and I will be training and torturing them this Spring.
All of my trees so far grow around my area and I am thinking to use plants from around here as accents. I have a lot of different sedum, wildflower, strawberries, etc that grow about the property. I am "thinking" they would make proper accents for the trees natural to the area. Just was interested to hear thoughts on that.
I do understand as I add trees I know are not native I will be doing differntly but for now I at least want to "play".

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Do it! I have a California Native nursery near me, and I have found many interesting accent plants there. I like to set up displays with trees and accents that you might find together in nature, such as my Toko Kazari display this year. Have fun!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I agree, while you don't have to be a botanist and always do this a native companion plant is most fitting for species of trees that grow in the same area.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I second the motion, just do it. I did not get around to starting accents until recently. They need time to look natural, with some 'age' in the pot, just like the trees. Accents can be quicker, but to look really good most need more than one or two years.

Top Bottom