Accidental fall

Reaction score
USDA Zone
A buddy asked me to ask about a Chinese elm, tree fell and dog chomped on the roots for some reason. He has repotted but wants to know if any special care needed like into a greenhouse to recover etc

Was repotted in April also

Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Elms are resilient, but it will depend how long it was unpotted and how chewed on it was. I had a couple blow off my bench a month or so ago. One the pot broke. Make sure it is wired in stable to minimize movement of the damaged roots.. and I mixed in some chopped spaghnum to help regulate moisture and promote rooting. I also removed sacrifice branches at that point to minimize the leverage of the wind. I wouldn’t however mess with the roots again if it has already been repotted. A few well placed rocks can also stabilize the roots as long as you are careful when watering.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Elms are resilient, but it will depend how long it was unpotted and how chewed on it was. I had a couple blow off my bench a month or so ago. One the pot broke. Make sure it is wired in stable to minimize movement of the damaged roots.. and I mixed in some chopped spaghnum to help regulate moisture and promote rooting. I also removed sacrifice branches at that point to minimize the leverage of the wind. I wouldn’t however mess with the roots again if it has already been repotted. A few well placed rocks can also stabilize the roots as long as you are careful when watering.

I went and had a look, it was out of the pot for less than an hour, the dog chewed the bottom of the already pruned rootball so a bigger root broken and some smaller ones. its repotted and wired in place. i told him to put it in his green house to recover after he watered it @MrFancyPlants then no water until almost dry in his akadama/kyodama soil mix.

Bobmoo79

Seed
Reaction score
Strange this happened to you. Almost the same thing happened to me!! Repotted my elm into a nice new pot. 3 weeks later it blew off the display table. Smashed the pot, and spent a few hours in the floor before I got home and noticed. I had to put it back in the old pot which is a shame because now I'm going to have to leave it in that until next year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I noticed my pot that blew over was round with a smaller footprint. In retrospect, a bit tippier of a design.

Bobmoo79

Seed
Reaction score
Good news! Elms are quite resilient.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good news! Elms are quite resilient.

This tells me an elm repotting season is 'Anytime' as all my trees were repotted in may this year and all are in good health....... Dont believe all you hear & see on the web :)

By the way i repotted a Serissa also last month against advise from supplier and its sprung into life this week :)

Top Bottom