Accidental Groundlayer Adventure

henrykiser

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We just closed on a great new place and I’ve been taking stock of the flora on the property. At first I was annoyed with the messy unkempt beds of azaleas that hadn’t been cleared of fallen leaves but realized many had thrown ground layers under the rotten leaves! Will try to leave some to expand the landscaping but id’Ed a few good future bonsai specimens...a fun free experiment.
D4F78C7C-6C67-4F70-9AFF-4CBC2DCBEAD1.jpeg
4BFCE675-8BAC-4CB0-A640-D32D50FD0010.png

Dug up a little shoot/sucker for future literati tho I haven’t found many examples of literati satzuki. Fun project though.
84380FA9-1A14-448F-AB7F-85840DAC1A44.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Azalea Literati unusual interesting idea. Possible to bend trunk at all? Perhaps later after adapted to potting.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Azaleas are very good at self layering so a great place to forage for new plants. I have even divided entire plants successfully taking large clumps off a landscape plant.

Don't fancy literati azalea? Azaleas are also very good at growing new shoots from bare wood. After it settles in to grow well in the new pot you could chop the trunk short and would be rewarded with masses of new shoots from the stump to develop a shorter bonsai.
Azaleas are generally very brittle. I have broken many trunks and branches while attempting to put just a little more bend in them. Bend with care!!

henrykiser

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Azaleas are very good at self layering so a great place to forage for new plants. I have even divided entire plants successfully taking large clumps off a landscape plant.

Don't fancy literati azalea? Azaleas are also very good at growing new shoots from bare wood. After it settles in to grow well in the new pot you could chop the trunk short and would be rewarded with masses of new shoots from the stump to develop a shorter bonsai.
Azaleas are generally very brittle. I have broken many trunks and branches while attempting to put just a little more bend in them. Bend with care!!
Nice thanks for tips! I've located some with larger trunks that I may pot up in early spring and chop back hard.

Top Bottom