Acer bloodgood, insects and bark problem

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask your opinion on two possible problems I have with my acer bloodgood.

The first one being little white/green insects on the leaves.
They are really hard to take in picture.
There not alot of them or atleast not alot that I can see but Im starting to get worried a little bit.
I observe this tree quite often but its the first time I notice theses little white dots moving around.
For now I just 'washed' over and under the leaves with a garden hose but that's it.

The tree doesnt seems to suffer too much for now but I prefer solving this potential problem as soon as possible.
Screenshot_20210729-201311_Gallery.jpg

The other issue is that little parts of the bark seems to peel off.
Both problems are probably not related but I prefer asking.
Here the damages in pictures.

20210729_195338.jpg

20210729_195345.jpg

20210729_195511.jpg

I took picture after washing the tree so its important to note that sap is not flowing out theses scars.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210729-201311_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210729-201311_Gallery.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The little bug is an aphid. Not much of an issue if there are only a couple, but they spread quickly. They are really fragile - you can often spray them off a tree with strong blasts of water, or just smash them with your fingers. If you have a larger tree, though, it may require spraying with an insecticide.

Your bloodgood is a grafted tree. In fact, if you look closely at your second photo, you can see the v-shaped grafting scar. Also note - any branches below this scar are going to be generic green maple, while any above are going to be the red maple cultivar leaves. Bottom line, don't plan on keeping any branches below the graft. Some of those bark flaking off points may simply be adventitious buds breaking out. I don't see anything that concerns me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kinda looks like a squirrel bite.

Sorce

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The little bug is an aphid. Not much of an issue if there are only a couple, but they spread quickly. They are really fragile - you can often spray them off a tree with strong blasts of water, or just smash them with your fingers. If you have a larger tree, though, it may require spraying with an insecticide.

Your bloodgood is a grafted tree. In fact, if you look closely at your second photo, you can see the v-shaped grafting scar. Also note - any branches below this scar are going to be generic green maple, while any above are going to be the red maple cultivar leaves. Bottom line, don't plan on keeping any branches below the graft. Some of those bark flaking off points may simply be adventitious buds breaking out. I don't see anything that concerns me.

Hi!

Thank you both for your replies.

I must admit its the first time one of my tree get bugs of any kind so I was a little bit nervous.
I had a doubt about aphid but I wasnt sure about their size, even if the shape is really similar.

In general this tree doesnt require frequent watering, but when I do water it I do it with a watering can.
Do you think I should "spray" the foliage with a garden hose once in a while just to better clean the foliage and possibly keep bugs away?
The only reason why I dont use the garden hose when watering is by fear of the chemicals.

Yes this tree is grafted!
Im keeping the only lower branch hoping the tree will have a better nebari.
That lower branche is wired at a 90deg angle just because I dont know better for now!
If I let it grow straight up the light green leaves color and different shape really makes a clash with the red ones so I prefer keeping the branche for now but with a lower profile just for the look..

Screenshot_20210729-231953_Gallery.jpg

Sorce,

I find it funny that you mention a squirrel as a possible cause.
I just saw two squirrels in the yard this morning.
I was surprised as they are not used to coming to the backyard too much because my dogs make life very difficult for them!
As revenge they may have decided to attack this tree!
joke apart they surely do not have this reasoning but I will try to find a way to protect it if that's the case.

Thanks

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
A hose spray down will work. Worried about chems in your water….do a heavy watering can drench from above.
Since you have aphids, look closely at the growing tips. That is where aphids load up.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Any chemicals in domestic water will not hurt a bonsai. Domestic water supply is strictly controlled. If chemicals were a problem there nobody in towns or cities would be able to grow a garden.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Any chemicals in domestic water will not hurt a bonsai. Domestic water supply is strictly controlled. If chemicals were a problem there nobody in towns or cities would be able to grow a garden.
You've never lived in Southern California :) Try growing a Japanese maple in 8.5 pH water with elevated salt levels :)

Salt in California Water

Last edited:
Top Bottom