Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dear all,

my wife gifted me this tree. At first it looked like this:

IMG_20210621_204732.jpg
IMG_20210621_204754.jpg

Then I went on holiday in august and my backup failed to water my trees. (Replaced him by a - more reliable - sprinkler system). So the tree became like this

IMG_20210802_195149.jpg

I was afraid it was gone, but it slowly returned to life early september.

Now it looks like this
IMG_20210930_171753.jpgIMG_20210930_171758.jpgIMG_20210930_171803.jpgIMG_20210930_171810.jpg
Lots of shoots close to the trunk. One branch dead i'm afraid.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Tnx in advance.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
by the looks of the liverwort in the pot the soil is staying too wet. It is common for people to over water after a missed watering. Let the tree grow make sure the soil dries out a bit between watering. Tridents are tough trees, work on dialing in the care and it will reward you.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Remove obvious dead parts. Feed and provide good care until it recovers vigor.
Tridents are strong and resilient. It is not uncommon for growers to remove all branches and rebuild from the new shoots. I know you did not intend to do this but the principle is the similar - rebuild from any useful new shoots, remove anything that is in the way, too thick or otherwise unusable (maybe not immediately - leave all live parts for now to help the tree recover)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make lemonday. Now you get to wire young shoots and avoid straight section. Off towards a great future!

Be wary of an early frostsnap before it going dormant though.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tnx for the replies guys. When would you suggest to remove the obvious dead parts? Is autumn doable or should I have done that in summer? There is just 1 necessary big branch that I presume dead. But I like the suggestion to rebuild the tree with the new shoots. Will keep u posted.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Dead parts can be cut any time of year. I prune live parts of trident any time of year except early spring. Pruning is not such a big deal.

I agree this is an opportunity rebuild from new shoots. Most commercial maple bonsai can be so much better when branches and trunk are built more slowly from shoots with short internodes. Don't try to grow branches to full length in a single season. Keep cutting and bending to get better ramification, shape and taper.

Top Bottom