Acer buergerianum Miq. var. formosanum

Saizan

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think I have one similar. Last year flowered, but all the seeds were empty.

P1140979.JPG

This spring I tried to do some cuttings, and 2 of 3 seem to be rooted, so not as impossible to make. Did I tell you that I am the worst cutting maker of the word? :D

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hooray, finally a thread dedicated to this species. Mine looks the exact same. It is disappointing to read that the samara do not tend to contain viable seed.

I just took two softwood cuttings of mine the other day. My results with all the cuttings I have done this season has been poor, so I don't have very high hopes. My main tree has nice rough, fissured trunk bark at a young age. I think Acer buergerianum var. formosanum will do well year round here in my area.

Also, from my layman's perspective, this tree appears different enough from Acer buergerianum to be its own species.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a few maybe five years ago. A few were planted in the yard to see what happened. A couple are now about 6-7' in height, but the trunks are still around an inch to maybe an inch and a half in diameter. They just don't thicken very much, unlike the normal trident.

Here are a couple of pictures of some developed ones. First is a picture of one i found on a spanish blog a while back. Second is a tree at the National Arboretum. Pretty coolTM - miyasama kaede.jpg .IMG_0783.JPG

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I bought a few maybe five years ago. A few were planted in the yard to see what happened. A couple are now about 6-7' in height, but the trunks are still around an inch to maybe an inch and a half in diameter. They just don't thicken very much, unlike the normal trident.

Here are a couple of pictures of some developed ones. First is a picture of one i found on a spanish blog a while back. Second is a tree at the National Arboretum. Pretty coolView attachment 104387 .View attachment 104385
Man, I was hoping you were going to tell us those are YOUR trees! Verrrrrry nice!

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I found some for sale! San Gabriel nursery has smaller cans of this cultivar for cheap. Bought one today. Also do trident hybridize with each other? They had some larger trees labeled as Taiwanese trident maple but it looked like a mix between the standard cultivar and the formosanum variant.

Top Bottom