Acer buergerianum (Trident Maple) Leaf Burn ??

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

I had a few TM's sitting around so I thought I would plant them in the ground. 9 in total

They are all grown from cuttings by the looks of it. The buds where swelling and breaking so I root pruned and planted them on top of tiles. A few days later I have noticed what looks to be leaf burn?? the leaves coming out of the buds are turning BLACK and shrivelling up, I have taken some pics hope you can see what I mean

Any ideas what has caused this on them?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 66
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Leaf burn.jpg
    Leaf burn.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 86

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
How much root did you remove and did the remaining roots have fat, white tips? Wind/sun burned leaves usually brown along the leaf margin. When leaves briefly open then turn black, it's almost always a root issue like root rot. One other thought...is it possible you had a frost that damaged the leaves? I think this is less likely but still something to consider.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Did you plant these before they leafed out? I don't think it would be leaf burn this early in the year, I can only imagine it is some dieback from adjusting to being planted in the ground. Looks like you have plenty of other buds so I wouldn't worry too much.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes I'd aslo vote for root problems. By any chance did use any chemical fertilizer on them?

Last edited:

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for getting back to me. I did some root pruning as you can see from the pictures I cut most of the long stringy roots way.

Some had big round bulgers and L shaped swellings due to them being grown from cuttings (I guess) so I cut these off some of them, see pics.

Have I been overambitious with the root puning? and will they pull though you think?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 57
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 45
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 41
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 40
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You did the root work late. Should have been done while the buds are just plumping up. It basically showed same signs of root problems/rot but luckily you know it is not the case. It should pull through but it will limp for a while.

Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
its redirection of energy causing leaves that were emerging to be unsupported. self-pruning, so to speak.

your trees have plenty of roots and will be just fine.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for getting back to me. I did some root pruning as you can see from the pictures I cut most of the long stringy roots way.

Some had big round bulgers and L shaped swellings due to them being grown from cuttings (I guess) so I cut these off some of them, see pics.

Have I been overambitious with the root puning? and will they pull though you think?

You did the root work late. Should have been done while the buds are just plumping up. It basically showed same signs of root problems/rot but luckily you know it is not the case. It should pull through but it will limp for a while.

Good luck!

I agree with Dario. You can remove a huge amount from tridents and they will not be bothered, but I suspect the timing ( a bit late) is playing a role. As long as there are healthy leaves remaining, they should be fine.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

I had a few TM's sitting around so I thought I would plant them in the ground. 9 in total

They are all grown from cuttings by the looks of it. The buds where swelling and breaking so I root pruned and planted them on top of tiles. A few days later I have noticed what looks to be leaf burn?? the leaves coming out of the buds are turning BLACK and shrivelling up, I have taken some pics hope you can see what I mean

Any ideas what has caused this on them?

Looks like frost damage to me...Tips froze perhaps during a cold night? I dont know if this is root related...

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys, so when is the ideal time to be doing this type of work? when the buds start to swell but before they break?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks guys, so when is the ideal time to be doing this type of work? when the buds start to swell but before they break?

I'm going to guess about a week earlier then when you did it:rolleyes:. Seriously, the best time is after the buds have started to move but before the leaves have completely unfurled. I actually tend to do my maple root work a bit early, even before I see buds moving. My schedule is such that sometimes I'm not available to do the work at the ideal time, and I'd rather do it a bit too early then a bit too late. Luckily, maples in general and tridents in particular are very forgiving.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to guess about a week earlier then when you did it:rolleyes:. Seriously, the best time is after the buds have started to move but before the leaves have completely unfurled. I actually tend to do my maple root work a bit early, even before I see buds moving. My schedule is such that sometimes I'm not available to do the work at the ideal time, and I'd rather do it a bit too early then a bit too late. Luckily, maples in general and tridents in particular are very forgiving.

Agreed! Tridents are all resilient! This (if indeed leaf burn due to frost damage) will not affect the health of the tree...The fact that I see some lime green makes me think just the tips are affected which were the parts likely exposed to the frost (At the time the frost occured)

Top Bottom