Acer buergerianum

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They're all asleep for the moment. We haven't had any hard frost so far, min. -4°C (24.8 F)for a couple of nights, slightly above zero (32 F +)during the day.
The small ones are protected under a two-inch layer of Zelko leaves, the bigger one is just on the ground. They survived -12.2 (10.4 F) one night in February, and +19 (66.2 F) in the afternoon ten days later !!! It was unusually cold, then unusually warm, it broke records...

I don't remember if I already posted these photos:

hivernage_211220a.jpg hivernage_211220b.jpg

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice Trident, Alain!

When I saw the pictures of the layers.. I was all... "hmm.. that worked?"

What it developed into over that decade.. is profound..

Excellent work.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks buddy, I appreciate.

But I should have taken better care of the deep wounds that take a loooong time to heal. I've been thinking about an approach graft across the bigger one maybe ? I have seedlings that I can use.
And refresh the cuts too ?
I will also repot it in a much wider pot and let it grow for half the season, then chop and grow again to make the nebari better : someone told me that the most important thing with maples is a good nebari, for you can always work the upper part...

acer-b_220126a.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks buddy, I appreciate.

But I should have taken better care of the deep wounds that take a loooong time to heal. I've been thinking about an approach graft across the bigger one maybe ? I have seedlings that I can use.
And refresh the cuts too ?
I will also repot it in a much wider pot and let it grow for half the season, then chop and grow again to make the nebari better : someone told me that the most important thing with maples is a good nebari, for you can always work the upper part...

View attachment 417633
That seedling/graft healing procedure sounds SOOO neat!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Good evening,

To be honest.. I do not recall ever seeing one where it healed in a nice way. Did the closing stall?

I didn't do the approach graft.

But I put it in a laaaarge pot a week ago : I will let it grow for two or three years maybe, refresh the big scars, and see what happens. I might even air-layer it where the hemp straw mulching ends.

acerb02_230303a.jpg acerb02_230303c.jpg acerb02_230303d.jpg acerb02_230303e.jpg acerb02_230303f.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
made me think of this video:

Thanks for the video, that's exactly what I had in mind. But will I have the guts to do it ?... :rolleyes:

I still have several weeks to make up my mind : I've always had much better, and quicker success airlayering maples when they've leafed out than before budbreak, say mid-May to mid-June here.

PS : I wanted to see your location, and when I saw "Kashyyyk", I thought it was a joke, it looked like a lost city in Khygizistan, or an imaginary place from a Lovercraft novel, a suburb of Cthulhu . So I clicked on it, and, my ! Yes, it's a real place !
I just spent one day in Wales, in Cardiff, and was surprised to hear the girls in a souvenir shop speaking Welsh between them before asking me if they could help me.
I'll watch France vs Wales on the 18th, I'm a rugby fan. Of course, I support France (they did a great match against England), but I also hope the Welsh will play a nice game. Whoever wins, what I like is good rugby, fair play, "engagement".

Last edited:
Top Bottom