acer buergerianum

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Guys,

I know the soil is in dire need of a repot soon. Is Scheduled end of february.
IMG_20220117_193819.jpg

Question: There are two major branches going upward. Should I keep one or both? If only one, which one? When to do it? Other styling suggestions?

IMG_20220117_193845.jpgIMG_20220117_193826.jpgIMG_20220117_193814.jpg
Tnx in advance

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First check the nebari, and take that into account in any choices you take.

What is your development horizon. You can make a nice tree out of this in a few seasons by using the last picture, use that as the back of the tree. Remove the double branch going up..

If hoowever you are loking at 10+ years, you could opt for increasing the taper in your tree by removing the largest trunk, and the rest of the branches in this effectively 4-way split and take time to re-develop that smaller one.

I would probably opt for the first.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First check the nebari, and take that into account in any choices you take.

What is your development horizon. You can make a nice tree out of this in a few seasons by using the last picture, use that as the back of the tree. Remove the double branch going up..

If hoowever you are loking at 10+ years, you could opt for increasing the taper in your tree by removing the largest trunk, and the rest of the branches in this effectively 4-way split and take time to re-develop that smaller one.

I would probably opt for the first.
Hey LB,

yes the nebari will decide a lot, very true. Impatient to find out what is beneath this green mess.

I got this tree as a gift from my wife (from Gingko in Laarne), and she was told not to repot yet then, so I have no idea what the nebari looks like.

However, I notice roots coming out of the pot hole and assume that a repot is now very urgent.

It also suffered from a lack of water last summer but came back from the dead. This made me think that I should not touch the tree until it was fully recovered, so I did no pruning whatsoever.

I agree with the choice for keeping the largest branch, which gives me most options in growing secondary branches I think. When to do such a large branch cut?

As for the secondary branches, my feeling is that they grow too much upwards. Tie them down with guy wires? Regular wire?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
However, I notice roots coming out of the pot hole and assume that a repot is now very urgent.
nope. Not a problem is roots grow out at the bottom.

How close are you to Danny? He has lived bonsai for the best part of the last half century. It might be worth asking whether he has walk-in hours for assistence. I know he does courses. It sounds like you are very new to this. You have a decent starter plant. It is worth spending an hour or two with someone, in person, and work on this tree. (You are of course welcome to drop by at my place, but that is a 3+ hour drive)

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How close are you to Danny? He has lived bonsai for the best part of the last half century. It might be worth asking whether he has walk-in hours for assistence. I know he does courses. It sounds like you are very new to this. You have a decent starter plant. It is worth spending an hour or two with someone, in person, and work on this tree. (You are of course welcome to drop by at my place, but that is a 3+ hour drive)
I live at 30 min drive from Danny. I follow his online courses but hesitate to participate in the walk-ins since I have only two humble starter trees that come from his nursery. He mostly works with material that is far more advanced. I will buy a tree @ Danny's when I have some real budget to spare. Then I will be less hesitant I guess. Tnx 4 the proposal to drive to your place however.

Reaction score
Okay. Tnx. When is the proper time to do this?
You can probably do it any time. However I find that early summer after spring growth hardens is a better option as the callus grows at a slower pace and creates a smaller bugle.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I live at 30 min drive from Danny. I follow his online courses but hesitate to participate in the walk-ins since I have only two humble starter trees that come from his nursery. He mostly works with material that is far more advanced. I will buy a tree @ Danny's when I have some real budget to spare. Then I will be less hesitant I guess. Tnx 4 the proposal to drive to your place however.
Basically, for trees bought from him, he does the follow-up if you want to. Contact him and ask what the cost is.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
nope. Not a problem is roots grow out at the bottom.

booked appointment with Danny for repotting two acers. Bit afraid of the cost though. :confused:

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
booked appointment with Danny for repotting two acers. Bit afraid of the cost though. :confused:
Didn't you ask?
For my 1 repotting workshop it's 55 €.
Add to that the cost of the substrate and sphagnum ( if you don't have moss)

Top Bottom