Acer campestre buds swelling, should I be worried?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My field maple got too dry once over this past summer. The edges of the leaves burned and got crispy but the inside stayed green, firm and healthy so I assumed the damage was done and I remained vigilant on watering the rest of the season. However after awhile I noticed the brown was creeping in further toward the center of the leaves. Now they have all fallen off and new buds are swelling as if it were spring already. Should I be worried?

I'd it had happened earlier in the year and the new buds had time to grow and harden off I would be ok about it, but it's pretty late for this dont you think?

Attachments

• 20171003_164102.jpg
    20171003_164102.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20171003_164314.jpg
    20171003_164314.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20171003_164449.jpg
    20171003_164449.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 35

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah, I would be worried, but I don't know what you can do about it. In my limited experience if it leafs out it will try to retain those leaves into winter. That is they will not turn color and fall off instead eventually being killed by frost. Then it is up to the tree whether it has enough energy to bud out again in the spring. My guess is it will.

Side note - someone I worked with for years just moved to Orem to be a plant manager at a fence manufacturing facility.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will be OK. The plants not stupid and it knows what to do....which is nothing.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My American elm lost all of it's leaves about a month ago. Combination of me forgetting to water it and a hot streak. It has grown all new foliage and the leaves are getting bigger... I'm worried it's going to use all of it's energy doing so... I'm going to take extra precautions and keep it in the garage this winter

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My American elm lost all of it's leaves about a month ago. Combination of me forgetting to water it and a hot streak. It has grown all new foliage and the leaves are getting bigger... I'm worried it's going to use all of it's energy doing so... I'm going to take extra precautions and keep it in the garage this winter
WTF? :confused:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm worried it's going to use all of it's energy doing so...
Are you aware that ALL ENERGY comes FROM THE FOLIAGE?

Trees survive sub-freezing temperatures by 'sugaring up' which happens when there is a sequence of deepening overnight frosts as normally occurs in fall. American elms do quite well in very cold climates. A sudden hard freeze such as temperatures suddenly dipping below 24F when the prior temperatures had been above 40F will damage just about any tree. New growth, produced just prior to such a sudden freeze is very susceptible to being damaged because cellular fluids are 'unsugared' and freeze - ice crystals puncture the cell walls.

So, you just need to worry about how the temperature variations going into fall/winter. Move to a shelter if a sudden hard freeze is expected. Otherwise, chill out dude. ;)

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I had the same question about some air layers I rooted over the summer. When I moved from PA 6b to CA 9b I think the warmer weather induced a number of buds to pop. I think it is actually a good thing as this helps create a bit more root growth but I too was worried it might be a net negative energy wise. Sounds like the consensus is not to worry.

Attachments

• IMG_20171001_171902.jpg
    IMG_20171001_171902.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom