Acer campestris

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree was purchased earlier this year. It was a bit overgrown and pruned aggressively. My second attempt at wiring, not completely unhappy with the result. All those years of twisting rope around cucumber and tomato plants in my youth do pay of I guess.

Some questions: I want the branches to thicken a bit more so prune now to two nodes or next year after the first flush hardens? General styling there is some inverse taper especially at the middle section of the main trunk less visible from this angle. What to do cut that left branch of those bar branches and some of the bulge?

C627E522-4552-41E5-B770-AA05B7F35A7D.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is quite the specimen.. I like it alot. :)

NEVER remove “those characteristic pieces” ... they speak strongly to the very personality of the tree..

SO jelly!
(Even Jam, preserves and marmalade.)

🤓

I would just prune any 3 crotch-branches down to 2 (at the next best time), encouraging overall bifurcation (favoring “outside” branches) and nipping some “bulging” in the bud RIGHT off the get-go...

Then I would wait for the tree to “converse” with me... it’s already saying a lot.... LOUDLY... so you’ll have to “listen” harder for the intricacies. But I’m a notorious nincompoop, so don’t value what I say TOO highly.

Last edited:

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes this one has a loud voice it clearly demanded a certain style.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would leave those branches knowing the top will be cut off. No reverse taper. Taper. Movement.

Done.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, after that this is perfect.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Maples in general, back bud very well. If you want trunk and branches to thicken, do not prune them, this tree could go several years without any pruning, then a hard cut back reducing it to trunk and main branches. The result will be an explosion of new growth, back buds and branches everywhere. So depending on your patience, let it grow for a couple-a-three years, then cut back.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maples in general, back bud very well. If you want trunk and branches to thicken, do not prune them, this tree could go several years without any pruning, then a hard cut back reducing it to trunk and main branches. The result will be an explosion of new growth, back buds and branches everywhere. So depending on your patience, let it grow for a couple-a-three years, then cut back.
I have thought about putting it in the ground having it grow freely as it would benefit the trunk. Let me sleep on that.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Field Maple are demon backbudders. They will bud from all over when strong. I'm constantly rubbing off buds on mine, even on the main trunk. You would have to be incredibly unlucky not to get branches exactly where you want them.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Start to grow to the idea of putting it in the ground for two or three growing seasons. Especially the main trunk could do with more diameter.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
If you do put it in the ground, make sure you keep trimming any branches you’re keeping to stop them taking off and getting too thick, these things grow like mad. I’d select clear sacrificial shoots instead and cut them off every 1-2 years or the scars will be too big to heal quickly.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you do put it in the ground, make sure you keep trimming any branches you’re keeping to stop them taking off and getting too thick, these things grow like mad. I’d select clear sacrificial shoots instead and cut them off every 1-2 years or the scars will be too big to heal quickly.
Thanks for that recommendation and yes it will go in the ground.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Changed my mind and it never went into the ground. Was time for a repot and a different container. Slightly changed the angle an position in the pot to get some more movement in the main trunk and get rid of some vertical and horizontal lines. The white pot is the old the brown (that I should have cleaned) the new. See some pruning that needs to be done to improve structure and taper. Likely I will ad a thread graft on the longest straight section.

77D4276B-9173-403C-8D12-E623112F740F.jpeg967C41F1-367F-4B51-A127-05B4ED230C97.jpeg

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So cool. And you gave me inspiration for this crepe myrtle. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• cm.png
    cm.png
    325.6 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: GGB

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is quite a specimen. Incredible base.
Thanks I created the mound to give some of the roots exposed during the repot time to develop so that they will presentable later

Top Bottom