Acer cappadocicum?

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Neighbor needed to remove this tree a year ago, so I dug it and chopped it to about three feet. It has a good base flare and my thoughts were it might make a cool shohin broom. It's a big leaf maple, however, and I don't want another big maple to work on.

Think the leaves might reduce? Worthwhile project?

Our landlord gave us permission to plant a tree in the backyard, so this might be a good option for that as it will grow fast and help with our severe lack of shade (in a few years).

IMG-0543.jpg IMG-0542.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bark and leaves look like Sweetgum to me.
they can make good bonsai, but it would need to be a larger tree, definitely not shohin material.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Bark and leaves look like Sweetgum to me.
Agree.
Easy enough to tell the difference between Liquidamber and Acer. Acers all have opposite leaf and growth pattern while Liquidamber has alternate growth pattern. Unfortunately I cannot pick out and clear stems in the photos to check.
@n8 can have a look and let us know or post a better photo of just one branch with leaves.

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looks like truncatum to me as well. I have one and the leaves have that crinkled look as yours does.

Mine is very early in development, but I’m sure you can find info on leaf reduction.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Leaves do look like truncatum. Previous owner told me it was a "coliseum maple," but could be a sweetgum. Leaf stems grow out in pairs, and alternate 90 degrees each node. Removed small branch for picture below. Appreciate the help!

@n8 can have a look and let us know or post a better photo of just one branch with leaves.

IMG-0547.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have to 3rd the vote for Acer truncatum, Shantung maple/Purpleblow maple. Wayyy long petioles are dead giveaway, coarse leaves, along with the bark.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Definitely maple with the opposite leaf pattern.
Sounds like truncataum is the consensus but that's a species I have never come across down here.
Bark is very interesting so pity about the long petioles and long internodes.

Reactions: n8

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think I'll put it in the ground and improve our backyard shade. Thanks everyone for help with ID!

Top Bottom