Acer circinatum cultivars?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dont know any, let alone which are the best ones. Small leaves, nice colors, you know the drill. ;)

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Del's Dwarf, Little Gem, Baby Buttons, Monroe. For smallest leaves, either Little Gem or Baby Buttons. Absolutely tiny and congested though yearly growth is minimal so perhaps not a great choice for bonsai if you're in a hurry. Monroe is a dissectum type leaf but on an upright tree. Vigor seems to be about the same as the species. Del's Dwarf is a compact tree with leaves about 2/3 the size of species. When grown in the sun, the new growth is orange/red.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I don't grow vine maples, Acer circinatum. There are only a dozen or so named cultivars. All are produced by grafting. If you want the vine maple for bonsai, you are better off with a seedling, rather than a named cultivar as that an un-named seedling will not be grafted. You don't want to have to deal with a graft union when doing bonsai with maples.

Most of the named cultivars were selected mostly for autumn leaf color, rather than leaf size. But if you can find named cultivars in Germany, you would still have to go through the trouble of air layering the scion off the grafting understock.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't grow vine maples, Acer circinatum. There are only a dozen or so named cultivars. All are produced by grafting. If you want the vine maple for bonsai, you are better off with a seedling, rather than a named cultivar as that an un-named seedling will not be grafted. You don't want to have to deal with a graft union when doing bonsai with maples.

Most of the named cultivars were selected mostly for autumn leaf color, rather than leaf size. But if you can find named cultivars in Germany, you would still have to go through the trouble of air layering the scion off the grafting understock.
Since when is airlayering a problem? And Im certain for both palmatum and circinatum even cuttings work.
But if there are so few circinatum cultivars, perhaps Ill stick to palmatums.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@rodeolthr gave you a nice list of smaller leaf cultivars, which I did not know about. We were typing at the same time. If you find air layering to be "no problem", then I suggest you do seek out some of those cultivars.

I was not being negative about using Acer circinatum for bonsai. It makes a fine bonsai. I was encouraging you to use un-named seed propagated stock, like is done for most Acer palmatum bonsai. But if you feel air layering a scion off their roots stock is not a problem, then go with grafted material.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since when is airlayering a problem? And Im certain for both palmatum and circinatum even cuttings work.
How many successful maple air layers have you done> And cuttings?
Just curious.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How many successful maple air layers have you done> And cuttings?
Just curious.
The kinds of plants I was asking about, palmatum and circinatum, though I havent had first hand experience with circinatum, I would say layer easily. With exceptions, for example I tried a dissectum garnet airlayer, and that failed, as you might expect it to. But my non dissectum palmatum airlayers all rooted. I just started this year so if you want me to tell you I have a hundred succesful airlayers lying around, that I cant deliver. But if I try 4 non dissectum airlayers and theyre all successful...
As for cuttings, Ive made plenty of poor attempts, letting them dry out, starting them too late, cooking them etc. But Ive learned a lot for next year.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The kinds of plants I was asking about, palmatum and circinatum, though I havent had first hand experience with circinatum, I would say layer easily. With exceptions, for example I tried a dissectum garnet airlayer, and that failed, as you might expect it to. But my non dissectum palmatum airlayers all rooted. I just started this year so if you want me to tell you I have a hundred succesful airlayers lying around, that I cant deliver. But if I try 4 non dissectum airlayers and theyre all successful...
As for cuttings, Ive made plenty of poor attempts, letting them dry out, starting them too late, cooking them etc. But Ive learned a lot for next year.
That is good then. Carry on and let us know.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a baby buttons nursery plant that I'm going to try air layering this year. I'll keep you posted. The leaves are tiny.

Top Bottom