Acer Crispicum

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think I may have a potential ...CASH... crop started.
I figure a little canola oil and sea salt and I can package a nice crispy snack.

I wonder if neem oil is edible.

P1050033.JPG

Sad in a way. This is what happens to all the palmatums I've tried. This one is from partial shade moved to fully SCREENED light to (now) no sun at all.
It's the fucking heat here. This one was a gift from a neighbor who had some volunteers to give away. His are in full shade. And just sprouts anyhow.

I cry when I think of the better ones that have succumbed to this oven.

I ....think....it may still be alive. It's made it to its present show worthy state over 3 years.

Yippee. :confused:

Clipped all the snack chips off today and left petioles for toothpicks post snack time. :mad:

oven.JPG

Last edited:

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m in reasonably temperate coastal Southern California and haven’t been able to keep them looking well into July. But not as bad as your crispy critter.

I have a lot of maple stock, but have been seriously considering making things easier on myself and not trying to make maples work where they aren’t supposed to live.

The last variable that I have yet to try to address is water ph.

I have some trident varieties (not the species) that stands up to heat very well, but those palmatums ... frustrating.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
One of my tridents has taken damage, but nothing like those damn huge leaf skinny stem palmatums.
Most of the destruction happened over 3 days.
:mad:

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Man that's rough!

How often they get watered a day?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one was a gift from a neighbor who had some volunteers to give away. His are in full shade.
Which to me would indicate that the heat is not what is to blame. Your neighbour would have the same temperatures. So keep looking to find the solution. :(

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Which to me would indicate that the heat is not what is to blame. Your neighbour would have the same temperatures. So keep looking to find the solution. :(
Temperatures not the same at all. He lives by the lake and the sprouts were in full shade.

This what happens to ALL my palmatums. From Modesto to Roseville. Heat and WIND. Sure, you can TRY to shelter them but it just ain't worth it.
I won't even take a free one again.

Last edited:

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do you by chance know what the pH of your water is? I believe that it may be more of the culprit than heat. FWIW, I occasionally have this happen with mine even in my PNW climate. I cut off all the leaves and in a couple weeks a new batch has popped out.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks fungal to me.... I began using a systemic spray this year, has helped with black spot....but I gave up on j maple last year.....I have the same issue as you with them, they all get some disease and die slowly.

Maybe I'll try again next year with systemic.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw you mention neem oil as a joke, but did you by chance apply neem oil to your maples this summer? Someone from my local club told me that in our climate (similar daily highs, although much more humid) neem oil might be ok in early spring, but if applied during the summer to maples in anything but full shade, it will allow the sun to fry them (quite literally).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry the maples aren't working for you, and I am guessing they are your #1 desire.
On the other hand, there are hundreds of things you can grow that I would love to be able to grow.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I came here for what I thought would be a good MC chuckle.

Ain't no laughing at 100 though. None.

Sorce

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I saw you mention neem oil as a joke, but did you by chance apply neem oil to your maples this summer? Someone from my local club told me that in our climate (similar daily highs, although much more humid) neem oil might be ok in early spring, but if applied during the summer to maples in anything but full shade, it will allow the sun to fry them (quite literally).
No. Did not use neem. Even bugs stay away from dry leaves.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm coming around to the notion that what we've been calling heat stress or leaf scorch is in fact instead a fungal issue, like what @just.wing.it said.

Smoke has been saying it and I believe he is right. If it is sun scorch, we would see a uniform drying of just the leaf margins (initially) on just about every single sun exposed leaf, not seemingly intermittent scorching patterns on a few leaves (initially). For fungal, we would seeing legions spreading randomly across the leaf surface, which is what I see.

I have many seedling/sapling age j.m., and have experienced the same thing that @Mike Corazzi is talking about. I was thinking the same thing with mine, but it always started as a leaf here and there and then more and more. It was never a uniform crisping.

I had the same issues a couple months ago, but then I used a systemic fungicide and the problem has pretty much cleared up. The bad foliage has since fallen off and most of the current growth looks good.

I'm not discounting any local climate issues or water pH, but I would look into possible fungal issues.

Last edited:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
THIS one was the tragic loss. I started an air layer, neglected the stump under a bench, found it after it started back up again.
and.........thennnnn.....

Heat and wind.
Plus the trunk turned black.
kaput! 😢

It really started out well.

ouch.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple Bloodgoods that got crispy while I was on vacation. Cut off all the dead leaves and they're coming back. Extremely frustrating though, I agree!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i have coral bark, 6' in full MA summer heat wind and humidity, drought, 90* for a month, and i have been watering it liberally, and misting it. twice a day
and its holding on and showing growth even thought i have some brown tips. in future ill have this in the shade

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
i have coral bark, 6' in full MA summer heat wind and humidity, drought, 90* for a month, and i have been watering it liberally, and misting it. twice a day
and its holding on and showing growth even thought i have some brown tips. in future ill have this in the shade
Neighborhood landscape maples seem to fare ...fairly...better. Maybe soil is the issue. I try to use some organic but maybe not enough.
In any event I'm done with maples.

Sorry, Log Cabin. No more tapping for you. :p

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have been able to keep a deshojo maple alive and growing in San Diego. Near east county. It’s in mostly shade.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Neighborhood landscape maples seem to fare ...fairly...better. Maybe soil is the issue. I try to use some organic but maybe not enough.
In any event I'm done with maples.

Sorry, Log Cabin. No more tapping for you. :p
mine is in organic soil with 20% toplayer of bonsai soil

Top Bottom