Acer Davidii from the Garden

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ely, Cambridge, UK, Zone 8 (whatever that means)
This is about 20 years old now, grown from seed, give to me by a colleague just after germination. It's been in my garden for 15 years since we moved here. I've pruned it occaisionally, but not done anything with the roots. Today I dug it up to pot it, hopefully it will go better than the yew I attempted to save last year. I've done this one a bit earlier, buds not quite broken yet.

Good root development, mostly quite shallow as seems to be the case in my garden. We have a heavy clay soil and I think the roots have trouble penetrating downwards, and are able to get all the moisture they need by running shallow.
I ended up cutting back more rootage than I expected, and left some longer than I planned just to try not to take too much off, so it's a bit wedged into the pot. POtting mix is very well drained, equal portions sand/grit/peat free compost.

Next job is to deal with that horrible broomstick straight long trunk. On close examination there are a few buds coming very low down on the trunk, so I'm going to give it soem thought and take action on Thursday when I have the day off.

P1060168.JPG

P1060170.JPG

P1060169.JPG

P1060172.JPG
Thinking of making the cut just above the fork / split on the trunk, and just below or above that shoulder on the left. I might try ripping that shoulder downwards to create another interesting scar

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Are you going to cover the wounds with cut paste?

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
The main cut, probably yes, just to stop moisture loss, but the one you see in front, no. I'll just hollow it out a little. I find these make a tree a lot gnarlier if you leave them, but make sure they can callus over.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the picture of the tree in the pot how you intent to leave it?
- Hint: Do not. Make sure you keep the nebari covered, at least during the first year. These roots are quite sensitive to drying out.

deal with that horrible broomstick straight long trunk.
Maybe leave a short stub for now. Once the tree is clearly established, this would go in my yard. The rest of the branches will be where your tree is hiding. I am not sure why you removed that one branch though..

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the roots, will cover them up.
Yes, will probably leave a couple of inches above that main fork, accidentally damaged the other branch in repotting.

When you say once clearly established this would go in my yard - this tree has been in the ground for the last 15 years, or do you mean once basically shaped it would go back in for more top development?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol, no I meant, in my yard, the straight stick would be a goner once the tree has clearly recovered :)

Top Bottom