Acer Deshojo

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,

Here is a recently purchased Acer Deshojo of mine. It is my first and so I plan on using this post to keep track of its progression.
Now the leaves are starting to drop you can see its structure a bit better. It is roughly 35cm high but only 15mm wide at the current soil level.

The current plan is to repot into a much wider, probably not any deeper pot in spring and let it grow.
I would like it to eventually settle around this height so I figure I at least need to double the trunk size.

While it is growing I will also aim to begin to train certain buds/ young branches so when the time comes to style I will hopefully have the beginnings of branches where I want them.

What do you all think. Anything else I should be considering doing over the next year or 2?

20181024_171639.jpg20181116_104231.jpg20181116_104252.jpg20181116_104345.jpg20181116_105636.jpg20181116_105642.jpg20181116_105647.jpg20181116_105656.jpg20181116_105651.jpg

D

Deleted member 21616

beautiful!

i want to start by pointing out that i don't have any trees anywhere this far along! Everything below is based on 2-3 years of reading - no practice with a tree at this stage of development yet. You will want to base your decisions on the recommendations of more experienced people.

You mentioned that you want to double your trunk size. I personally really like the height and trunk size ratio. It it has a nice, slow, elegant taper. Take a look at this thread for inspiration with a tall thin tree:

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/japanese-maple-5-progression.10700/

I think the shape of your tree is reminiscent of the well developed one on the attached photo (pic taken from here: https://www.henhbonsai.nl/en/bonsai-japanese-red-maple-acer-palmatum-deshojo-n-22076598.html). I personally find the trunk of this tree too thick for my taste. I also just inherently think tall and skinny when i think deshojo.

It looks like your deshojo is grafted, but the graft doesn't show too much. Depending on what your current roots look like, you might want to consider an air layer above the graft and build an impressive nebari from there. Personally, i would jump straight into the ebihara method once the air layer was removed: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ebihara-maples.18215/

An air layer would also shorten that lowest section of the trunk that lacks movement, and you'd end up with a little more movement down low on your finished tree, like the well developed one in the attached photo.

That said, @0soyoung will warn you that air layering is a high-risk manoeuvre with deshojo (use the search function and search "deshojo" and "0soyoung" for an incredible amount of information), and may or may not be worth the risk. A lot will depend on how much a graft like this (if it is a graft) bothers you, and how much the tree is worth to you.

I'm in a similar situation with a shin deshojo. I would swap trees with you a second though!

Conclusion: I would make every effort to avoid air layering, and try to do the most you can with your current root system. Ebihara method is always the way i personally lean. As for the graft (if it is a graft) - it barely shows as is, and you could make it pretty much disappear with a little lime sulphur. Here is a post on lime sulphur by @Brian Van Fleet. If I remember correctly, BVF's tree is not a graft, but does have a little demarcation near the base of the trunk. For this reason and many others, I would read through BVF's posts on this tree meticulously.

https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2013/03/30/more-from-the-chishio-workshop/

Attachments

• IMG_3344.2.jpg
    IMG_3344.2.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    345.8 KB · Views: 51
  • bonsai-japanese-red-maple-acer-palmatum-deshojo-no.jpg
    bonsai-japanese-red-maple-acer-palmatum-deshojo-no.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would follow your plan, pretty much let it grow out until the trunk has doubled or tripled in diameter, then bring it back down in size.

Read Brent Walston's articles on developing trunks for deciduous trees, and his maple article.
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks both!

@derek7745 Thank you for your insight and the links. I agree about the shape and subtle movement in the trunk being good now, but I do however feel it is a little too skinny.
I could take 10cm or so off the height and it would be better in proportion, but I'd rather grow it out. All of the trees you have linked to have a thicker trunk and the balance is much better (Some are taller though I admit!).

I'm going to stick with the plan and grow it out. I hope to be able to cut it back and regain the subtle movement just with a wider trunk and a tad more taper. The wider trunk will also help with the appearance/ratio of size/taper on the branches (At least in my head).

@Leo in N E Illinois That article is great, thank you. It looks to pretty much confirm what I have been planning which is great.

Hopefully it only needs 2-3 years for the trunk to double in size!

Top Bottom