Acer ginnala - development advice

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Didn't do much this year, it was repotted in early spring.
I definitely need to work on ramification and on establishing the right branch (have lost previous one). I am also not sure what to do about the stump on the top of both main branches.
Any advices maybe?

Thanks!

20201002_092940.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like Amurs ALOT! Nice tree!

If it were mine, (remembering of course that I’m roughly as stable as a hobo on holiday, drinking his gasoline and using cheap vodka for molotov cocktails in defense against his mania-induced hallucinations) I would wait until late-winter/early spring... and prune low, And picking a front based SOLELY on the “base”, cleverly “concealing” the large(r) wound...

But as I’ve previously stated, I would not ENTIRELY consider my advice “credible”

🤓

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can't stop laughing :D

Not sure that I understand what 'to prune low' means exactly ?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THis is a dificult tree for me. The tree is straight, with a gentle taper. However, you have a side-branch in the top which is as thick as the main trunk at that point. I think I would remove that. But.. Formal upright is not easy to pull off, let alone with fast growing species such as this.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The right branch is the biggest issue and I am not sure if I am comfortable with removing it. Was planning to do so but have change my mind, so now I am seeking for possible solutions which are not including chopping of the right branch :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd chop the right off and the left where the right currently ends.
That'll be wicked dope with time, and if you get a new shoulder branch growing where that old right honking thing was...bingo!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Boo Hiss. It's already done been chopped. You already have the architecture of a formal upright. Carry out what was started and continue to build foliage pads to give it an orderly, tree-like appearance. Tip pruning for compactness and defoliation in June to reduce foliage size.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Boo Hiss. It's already done been chopped. You already have the architecture of a formal upright. Carry out what was started and continue to build foliage pads to give it an orderly, tree-like appearance. Tip pruning for compactness and defoliation in June to reduce foliage size.
LOVIN’ the “Boo hiss”s! 🤣

My mother used to say that to me..

🤓

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Short term: Make space between foliage pads and cover stubs with strategic adjacent growing foliage...
amur 3.JPG

Long term: more of the same and ramify with pinching tips and annual foliage size reductions via June defoliation.

Top Bottom