Acer ginnala hard prune and repot timing

Afly

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Howdy,

New to the addiction, long time listener, first time caller. I have a nice acer ginnala that I bought this early September and lopped off the leggy upright shoots at the nursery to fit it in the car. I’m not concerned about that decision at all.

My goal for this tree is a very informal/natural maple in small scale.

There are two operations which I feel I need to address soon to set this tree up for success:
1. Hard prune of unnecessary/energy sucking leggy branches for rough shape
2. Repotting due to being root bound in terrible hard soil

1. After searching extensively there is nothing but conflicting info on when to hardprune acer ginnala. Some say late fall after leaves turn, some say winter during dormancy, some same late winter/early spring prior to budswell and some say during high summer “dormancy”. All advice seems to be backed up by good reasoning. I’m so confused! I’m keeping the trunk and the three main branches and some secondary branches but everything else must go! When is the best time to do this work, considering issue 2 below?

2. This acer needs a repot. The soil does not take water well and the tree is root bound. I’d like to put it in a training pot with proper soil just before budswell this next spring as seems to make the most sense to me and is generally agreed upon with little to no argument.

What I would like to do is hard prune now in early October in Michigan , 6a, cover major prune sites with cut paste to prevent dehydration, winter protect prior to 28F and then repot in the spring before budswell.

is this the right plan forward? Thank you in advance you nuts!

Attachments

• 8D0FE379-02EA-4E8A-8A81-457CB743C5C1.jpeg
    8D0FE379-02EA-4E8A-8A81-457CB743C5C1.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 61

clintonio12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I too am a beginner but I know that over the winter one’s main concern is to protect the roots, so I think your plan to repot next spring is a good one. It won’t take up as much water over winter as it does during spring/summer so I wouldn’t worry about the poorly draining soil for now.

What I don’t have advice on is when to trunk chop. My gut says spring, considering when you remove roots you also want to balance with an appropriate amount of foliage too, otherwise it will sweat out more moisture than it can suck up.

Looks like good starting material! I collected some Amur samaras today that I’ll try and germinate in spring, so I am looking forward checking back for your updates too!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do not hard prune it now... Ginnalas are die-back prone... SOMETIMES..... Also... pruning now will force new maristem mother cells to start producing new growth.. this growth will not lignify or “harden off” sufficiently to survive the cold, and will be lost. (Given that ginnalas are sometimes prone to said “die back”.. you might lose that whole “center” of growth)

Afly

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you all, I’ll perform the hard prune and repot next season. A fella named source on the maple forum suggested I let the tree flush and grow until Juneish and then perform both operations forcing a second flush with time to harden off before winter.

Any thoughts on letting the tree build some energy before hard Pune and repot?

Top Bottom