Acer Ginnala Question

BonsaiMania

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I appreciate all the eyes and advice I receive.

I picked up this Acer Ginala for 19.00
I thought I couldn't go wrong with this amount of money.

My question I have is, do you see potential for this tree to be a bonsai one day? If anyone can offer recommendations as where to chop and when to chop etc...I would really appreciate your advice. I could maybe start wiring it now and letting it grow out until fall.

Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• 20190521_191340.jpg
    20190521_191340.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 240

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love amurs, I think yours has plenty of potential! Looks like you could make a multi trunk or clump style out of it, I'm working on a clump myself.

As far as where to chop, it all depends on the style you're going for and the ultimate height of your tree. Make these decisions and you can get more tailored help as far as direction.

I have a few amurs and from what I can tell is that they're good growers and will explode if put in the ground or let the roots escape. I have two that are in 5 gal pots that never made it out of winter storage a few years ago. Their roots escaped and I let them be, they're now both about twelve feet tall...

EDIT: one of the 12' trees is actually a trident, the other potted amur would be about 8' if it wasn't leaning over.

Reaction score
I think the first think you need to do is checking where the trunk ends. It looks like there could be a considerable amount of trunk that is buried...

Other than that I have no experience with this species but I believe its leaf
size is a bit large which will determine how big the bonsai should if you are to create a ‘natural’ look.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree that you should follow the trunk down. It certainly has potential but maybe as two trees rather than one.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Amur maples are great, and the good news is leaves will reduce dramatically, leaves will get as small as any trident with enough ramification.

This is a young tree. You could easily let it grow out a while while you educate yourself on what you would like your bonsai to look like. @cbroad was right you need to answer some questions. Those questions will determine what you do next.

@Gustavo Martins was correct, you need to brush back the surface soil until you expose the surface roots. Now on a young tree for growing you keep the surface roots buried at least a half inch, but when you are making style decisions you need to uncover them for a few hours while you contemplate your possibilities.

consider options, and what is practical - what size is to big to fit where you want to grow it? Too small to keep track of ?

Think about how many trunks? 1, 2, 3, 5 ?
How tall ?
How wide ?
Informal upright?
Broom? Better is the Informal Broom which is a naturalistic style for Japanese maples? (smooth curves go into making brooms)

Amur tend to make abrupt angles when kept small. (in pots versus landscape). Maybe a craggy look would be appropriate. ???

Decide - your height and width will determine how large the diameter of the trunk will need to be. Once we know that you know how much growing out you need to do before your first pruning.

I see at least 3 completely different trees in there, what is important is that you take the time to see the tree. We can only help, once you have enough of an image in mind to guide us to what you want.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Congrats on your first post, what took you so long? We are all happy to share our opinions. Take it apart and see what you have to work with.

BonsaiMania

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow,

I am overwhelmed with all of your replies :) So much wisdom in so few words, so deep and meaningful, to guide me forward, on my path of this ever loving passion. I will update again, when I am ready to exit the gift shop, with the questions for me, that you have posted in mind.

Thank you kind fellows.

BonsaiMania

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello again,

II removed the tree from the pot to examine the root system and it was root bound.
I let it soak overnight so I could loosen the roots tease them... and give this abused tree some new life by adding in some pumice and lava rock into the new 3 gallon container that I will use along with some fresh soil. I want to prepare it for the fall and bury it in the ground as is without the pot to thicken the trunk for the next couple of years.

The question that I have as well is that I found the tap root girdling around the pot 3/4 on the bottom of the pot.
Can I somehow force to loosen this tap root or maybe cut it to loosen up that part of the root ball? Should I just leave it as is for now? I teased and loosened out most of the roots on the bottom 1/4 inch and sides of the root ball that were bound.

Thank you

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Came here via the other thread to see if you got a WTC in May. You didn't.

Welcome to Crazy!

Speaking of....if this is an Amur Maple...

I'll cut off my left ear.

Sorce

BonsaiMania

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,

This is the latest picture from September, I wanted to take a better pic, but it's too late now, the Tree has dropped its leaves.

P.S Sorce, please don't cut off your left ear :)

Attachments

• 20190928_162337.jpg
    20190928_162337.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,

This is the latest picture from September, I wanted to take a better pic, but it's too late now, the Tree has dropped its leaves.

P.S Sorce, please don't cut off your left ear :)
Make sure to post pics of the tree without leaves from different angles. A lot of members, especially the more advanced ones, will be able to guide you on what and where to cut better without the leaves being in the way of the trunk line and branches.

Top Bottom