Acer Ginnala styled

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Quick update. Last fall after the leaves dropped, I cut back the tree pretty drastically. Basically rebuilding the canopy once again but tighter than before. The thickening that happened from the unrestricted growth last year made for improved transitions from trunk to the primary branches. I think in another three to five years or so it will have a full and better canopy once again.

The maple last fall after being cut back.

IMG_3931.jpg

And now the tree this spring. The budding looks quite vigorous. This year however, it will be allowed to grow until leaves harden and then will be cut back to one or two nodes.

IMG_4663.jpg

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Beautiful glaze!! Only comment would be just a tad shallow but only visually. But that is just a personal preference.

PieterVE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know, just a feeling, as if the robustness has gone with that 2nd pot, as if the tree is going to fall over...

Can you do a comparison of the 2 with both pictures at same eye-level ?

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thinking about repotting it next spring into this Shuho container I got at Seiji Morimae's garden. I am liking it! Thoughts?
I agree with cmeg. The tree has a powerful presence that is complimented by the current rectangular pot. The patina also goes well with the aged appearance of the bark too. The slimmer overall profile of the new pot does highlight the tree more but it looks a bit imbalanced/top heavy and the colors/shape don't mesh as well imo.

I'd be curious to see it in almost a nanban style container...something that might highlight the naturalistic aspects of the tree. Like you walked through the forest and came upon the big beautiful tree on a knoll.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thoughts?
I must say I don't like that pot at all. Certainly not with this tree.
With the brown feet, green, blue, then those orangy stripes, that when zoomed upon, shows the pits, this pot is just way too busy.

If the orangy spots were swapped, with the thick one being right, it might look better, but as is, it's doubling the size difference of those roots, which may be the nail in the coffin, if them other things don't already have it sealed shut.

I think you are right to want to change the current pot, but not by more than 20%. That color, that same pot, a little wider and more shallow, is perfect IMO.

I was admiring my amur leaves today, they are by far my fave, and surely capable of being the entire show.

Sorce

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pot feels just a touch too shallow to me but it’s a beautiful pot. That tree on the other hand, the more I look at it the more amazing it gets. So utterly beautiful ❤️❤️❤️, it’s breathtaking.

So jelly of your skills and creativity, every tree you share is just out of this world.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Lovely tree, beautiful colours. It goes to show how difficult decisions are worth waiting to make sometimes. I’m glad that right hand branch has stayed on because it has really come into it’s own and the tapering effects of the spring cut back will only serve to improve it further.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Like the shape of the "new" container but the size and color of the old one... But OMG that is a bright red. It's on FIRE!🔥🧨🧯

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did not notice the first pot at all, I was so focused on the tree and naburi. The second pot distracted me so much I did not notice the tree at all.

it is a beautiful pot, just not right for this tree.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think the muted cream allows the fire red fall color to pop, but the “new” pot would make a better winter display. It depends on what you want the strength to be.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Excellent guys. Thank you for taking the time to chime in! Some great comments and observations and looks like the majority gave the idea of paring the Shuho with this tree a thumbs down. Fair enough and looking at it today more carefully I do think it's probably too shallow. What can I say late night idea! 😵

Top Bottom