Acer Ginnala styled

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Awesome tree as usual Mach. Looking forward to your future updates.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bet you'll have to pull that wire in no time, they grow fast! Looking good.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those new leaves are tiny! Is this your only ginnala? I've been thinking about getting some since I've had such problems overwintering tridents here.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Those new leaves are tiny! Is this your only ginnala? I've been thinking about getting some since I've had such problems overwintering tridents here.

KM I have another amur that is in the form of a clump. Leaves are so tiny because they were barely out. Take a look at the photo below. They get much larger although in time the leaves can be reduced significantly. As you probably already know, amurs do not need any sort of winter protection. They are not fussy trees at all.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There they are again, the signature M5 roots!!! another one I want to see naked!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mach, that's the big draw for me. I'm trying to get trees that I don't have to baby as much in the winter. Lots of junipers and pines. Still trying to figure out overwintering J Maples. Amur seems bulletproof.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great trees Mach,
The most common complaint I hear about amurs is that they tend to dieback and shed branches. Can you confirm or deny this?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mach, that's the big draw for me. I'm trying to get trees that I don't have to baby as much in the winter. Lots of junipers and pines. Still trying to figure out overwintering J Maples. Amur seems bulletproof.

They are quite easy in all respects. They are not as fine looking as a good Japanese maple but they are nice. I think bigger sizes work better for amur due to their rather coarse ramification. I left this tree outside all winter long experiencing extended periods of below zero temps and didn't even loose a single twig.

Great trees Mach,
The most common complaint I hear about amurs is that they tend to dieback and shed branches. Can you confirm or deny this?

Yes I have heard same although I have not yet experienced this though. They are also relatively short lived trees.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You've been busy! Looks great really great. Looks like you've got green wire on it? What is that?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Juds! The green "stuff" is actually wire wrapped in floral tape. I use it on branches that I either have to apply a lot of torque to or create bends that exert pressure on the bark. It buys you more time before it bites in. It is more time consuming but I think worth the effort if you have the time.

Last edited:

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I like this tree M5. Needs a lot of growth to thicken the branches/trunks, but it is going in good direction for me. Reminds me one of my trees with its structure, actually :)

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They are quite easy in all respects. They are not as fine looking as a good Japanese maple but they are nice. I think bigger sizes work better for amur due to their rather coarse ramification. I left this tree outside all winter long experiencing extended periods of below zero temps and didn't even loose a single twig.

Yes I have heard same although I have not yet experienced this though. They are also relatively short lived trees.
Disappointing to find out they are relatively short lived trees! oh well...at least it will look nice for a while

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Juds! The green "stuff" is actually wire wrapped in floral tape. I use it on branches that I either have to apply a lot of torque to or create bends that exert pressure on the bark. It buys you more time before it bites in. It is more time consuming but I think worth the effort if you have the time.
I can think of a few fast growers with thinner skin that this would be a good idea for. Thanks!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Disappointing to find out they are relatively short lived trees! oh well...at least it will look nice for a while

My understanding is that they have an average life expectancy of 60 yrs.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
hahaha...ok. that sounds 100 times better. I was worried it was much shorter. So I can enjoy it during my lifetime....maybe I'll have the tree buried with me if we both pass at the same time

Top Bottom