Acer Ginnala styled

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know Ryan advocated against this, I'm kinda in the same boat, though you do get results with it

Yes I am well aware Gigs. I have used this technique for almost two decades with no losses but respect opposing views. I exercise caution in all cases and avoid it altogether on certain maple cultivars and species such as beech. Regardless, this is something everyone should use their own judgment on. Without question, any tree that is even remotely weak should never be defoliated.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yes I am well aware Gigs. I have used this technique for almost two decades with no losses but respect opposing views. I exercise caution in all cases and avoid it altogether on certain maple cultivars and species such as beech. Regardless, this is something everyone should use their own judgment on. Without question, any tree that is even remotely weak should never be defoliated.

yeah I don't know i'm really on the fence about it. I've done it but since I've heard Ryan preaching against it I'm rethinking how I got about it.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Out of interest what does Ryan say on this subject? I personally for each pair, cut one leaf off and the other in half.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Out of interest what does Ryan say on this subject? I personally for each pair, cut one leaf off and the other in half.

Just simply to not fully defoliate. According to him, it will eventually weaken a tree to the point of no return. I personally over the course of two decades I have not seen evidence of this. But this is my own experience and observation.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Watch his new videos on YouTube and he coves it

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not a fan of defoliation, but I've used it. It works with Amur maple and any maple, IF you don't overdo it over and over again.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice photos, you're showing us the bits that make the tree so cool. I really like the varied ground cover with this tree, it's quite appealing. Can I ask why you didn't do any cutbacks at this time?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice photos, you're showing us the bits that make the tree so cool. I really like the varied ground cover with this tree, it's quite appealing. Can I ask why you didn't do any cutbacks at this time?

Some branches where cut back and now waiting for the tree's response before I take some further back. One larger branch that was in the front was also taken out. I think this improved the overall image as it allows your eye into the tree. This is not so noticeable in the photos but very apparent in person.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful work Sergio. I'm curious, how many flushes of growth each season do you get on your Amur's.

Hi Lars. In the few years I've worked with Amur maples, once foliage has hardened off, I have gotten a strong second flush after cutting back. Both trees that I have, have more or less kept on growing until the end of season. They are certainly vigorous trees.

Top Bottom