Acer layer fail

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, my first attempt at an air layer failed miserably. I layered an acer tamukeyama back in May right below the graft.. I was concerned because at the 8 week mark I still didn't see any roots. A few days ago the foliage started shriveling and I knew the existing roots were dying. Today I popped open the plastic and remove the moss to find it had formed a callus but no roots.

20180717_175629.jpg

Dunno what I did wrong but it didn't work!

I still have my beech that I layered about two weeks later and I still don't see roots there, either. But, that at least wasn't a trunk layer at the base so the tree's roots are fine.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The red leaf dissectums are notoriously hard to layer, I think some even impossible, so don't feel so bad about it.

I think Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks has a variety available for sale so some must be possible but I'm not sure which.

EDIT: Just looked, he has offered 'inabe shidare.' He also says "cutting grown dissectums are almost impossible to find" that probably attests to their poor ability to root.

Last edited:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crap... And I just read "right below the graft", sorry.
Still, it might have something to do with it...

0so has talked about CODIT responses in specifically JM, but there's still a lot of questions why the trees have this response when others don't...

Top Bottom