Acer Negundo #1

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fall colors aren’t really a thing for this species. More refinement will be attempted in the spring, but doing ok for this year.

View attachment 515117View attachment 515119
I like this tree!! I love subtle curves on decidous, but bonsai general. It feels more true to full-size that way. My only feedback would be that bottom right branch in the first pic. If it were mine I’d wire it up so it leaves the trunk at the same angle as the rest of the branches. Then as it ramify, the tertiary branch can be wired out and down. But that’s it! Great tree!

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like this tree!! I love subtle curves on decidous, but bonsai general. It feels more true to full-size that way. My only feedback would be that bottom right branch in the first pic. If it were mine I’d wire it up so it leaves the trunk at the same angle as the rest of the branches. Then as it ramify, the tertiary branch can be wired out and down. But that’s it! Great tree!
Thank you, I just went out and removed the wire- going to wire it up tomorrow when I have more time.

Also, need to put out some traps, I just noticed some red squirrel chew marks on the trunk.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Next spring, I’m going to cut this tree back pretty hard and see if I can start developing foliage pads. I’m specifically looking at that first branch, cutting it way back to the first pair of buds, especially given the internode length on the rest of the branch.

97F13B5E-6764-4599-B2A3-56865D899ACD.jpeg259C768D-6AEA-4F2A-80F0-807402BBEF6B.jpeg

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Looking forward to where you take this. I’ve got a volunteer I’m thinking about pulling. Ever had any problem with the bugs?

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looking forward to where you take this. I’ve got a volunteer I’m thinking about pulling. Ever had any problem with the bugs?
Thanks- I have a total of three negundo, all large trees, all with the innate flaws that come with negundos. That being said- no bugs. Never found one on them. I do treat all of my bonsai with systemics every year, but I think it has to do with my area. All of the negundos have been collected from other locations around my house, but the closest naturally growing negundos to me are a mile away or more, which is probably the main reason.

I hate boxelder bugs, probably even more than how much I hate stink bugs.

Top Bottom