Acer Negundo #2

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Starting a specific thread to document this tree. I've posted it in other combination posts- please ignore. This tree has survived two years post collection, so I feel comfortable with logging ongoing styling. This thread will serve as an ongoing journal, as well as for input.

I understand Acer Negundo aka Boxelder is not a great material for bonsai, given the compound leaves, long internodes, and random internode length. That being said, I'm going to give this a shot given the trunk diameter and overall size of the tree- about four feet so far. i feel like this may be an appropriate proportion size.

IMG_0990.JPGIMG_0992.JPGIMG_0045.JPGIMG_2016.JPGIMG_3777.JPGIMG_6545.JPG

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So- thoughts on removing one of the two main leaders at the top? With both present, it certainly fills out nicely, but I feel like one has to go. What do you think?
DSC_2341.JPGDSC_2342.JPGDSC_2343.JPG

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Acer negundo, the box elder, comes together as a bonsai if the finished tree is more than 3 feet tall. At less than 3 feet the proportion issues are obvious and difficult to deal with. So go big!
This tree is about 5 foot high at this time. I wouldn't go any smaller, and even at this height the random internode length is going to be an issue

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’d say remove the one pointing straight up.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I find removing leaflets slows down the internode growth on negundo. On clusters of more than three leaves, remove everything but two leaves, so that you have only two leaves per petiole.

I also believe that all deciduous collected with large trunks have so much energy in reserve that they take a loooong time to slow down and get internodes small.

My negundo, grown from a small seedling has retained short internodes and controllable growth this way while gaining noticeable thickness annually.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm glad you're sticking with this tree, it's getting better. Excited to see where it gets in a few years. I definitely Agree with Orion about collected trunks. I had a field grown Acer palmatum and it pushed lanky internodes with large leaves despite being in full sun with little to no fertilizer. It slowed down as time passed but I also built ramification so it's hard to say.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Styling thoughts?
I'm letting the lower branches grow out a bit to try to thicken them up over the next year or two. They're out of proportion now, but still bendable enough to wire more horizontal. Other than that, I pinched every other but in the apex of the tree, so working on ramification.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm glad you're sticking with this tree, it's getting better. Excited to see where it gets in a few years. I definitely Agree with Orion about collected trunks. I had a field grown Acer palmatum and it pushed lanky internodes with large leaves despite being in full sun with little to no fertilizer. It slowed down as time passed but I also built ramification so it's hard to say.
So am I, fully understanding that they really aren't good bonsai material. This one and my other one (Acer Negundo #1) are ...okay.., because I collected them fairly tall and fat trunked. I think anything smaller would just not really work with the internode length and overall leaf size. Not saying that this one will either, but I'll give it a shot for a few years.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Die back could become frustrating, but I have to say Acer Negundo has serious vigor! I tried a few times when I was in my 20's and not at all ready for the hobby. The leaves eventually dwarf and I'm sure there is a way to curb die back to a minimum. Definitely a great practice tree where skills can be aquired that apply to other maples that grow with small percentage of vigor. Box Elder Elder growth is measured in feet instead of inches! Also a short lived species compared to others, but also good news. Mature at 30!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Die back could become frustrating, but I have to say Acer Negundo has serious vigor! I tried a few times when I was in my 20's and not at all ready for the hobby. The leaves eventually dwarf and I'm sure there is a way to curb die back to a minimum. Definitely a great practice tree where skills can be aquired that apply to other maples that grow with small percentage of vigor. Box Elder Elder growth is measured in feet instead of inches! Also a short lived species compared to others, but also good news. Mature at 30!

Can you expand on your dieback issues. Ive had mine from seed and havent had any die back on it. Always flushes out from all the tips. Actually, i notice that some branches will push a small set of leaflets one year, stall that new branch a year, then the following year throw strong growth on what was a seemingly dead branch/bud.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good question. I wonder if anyone else has more experience on controlling die back. For me it seemed spontaneous. Get a good branch going and loose it.
On another note... I was watching Peter Chan was working on an Acer Negundo 'Flamingo'!!!

Top Bottom