Acer Negundo (Boxelder Maple) #52

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another boxelder maple i dug and wired and put in a pot. Going for something more dramatic with this compared to my other boxelder. I have another one in the ground to dig up in a few years also. I think three of these are enough.

20221113_012257.jpg

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not to hijack, but see so few of these. I like it.

78E13FC6-A0BA-47F8-9E81-9C615C7B7158.jpegI visited a friends garden yesterday and she has a really interesting boxelder she been working on. Really great base, and starting to get ramification on what is typically really coarse growth.

Good luck with yours!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Internodes look pretty tight on that one. Really nice! I think they are a fun species so far. Petiole length is a concern initially, but after a little ramification, they seem to shorten.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it lives, I expect to give them!

Check out my other Boxelder in the mean-time:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 462758I visited a friends garden yesterday and she has a really interesting boxelder she been working on. Really great base, and starting to get ramification on what is typically really coarse growth.

Good luck with yours!
Pass along a comment of a spectacularly aged tree. Really well done!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

View attachment 462758I visited a friends garden yesterday and she has a really interesting boxelder she been working on. Really great base, and starting to get ramification on what is typically really coarse growth.

Good luck with yours!

Can you post an updated photo? Can your friend send what it looks now lare spring?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe I underfertilized this because leaf color is a bit off. Still grew well. I fertilized with some miracle grow.

20230827_161745.jpg

You can see the leaf color next to my alder which is always the right color green due to its nitrogen fixing ability:
20230827_161853.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
End of year. Added .11" to the thickness. Needs a repot next spring - it's been two years. Will repot and heavily fertilize.

IMG_20231112_155925.jpg

Top Bottom