Acer p. 'Orange Dream'

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
From a cutting taken years ago and not much bigger than a toothpick at the time.

Before pruning: I'll have to choose from the second and the third branch on the right. 3rd one looks better place in terms of distance with the 1st one, but is slightly to the back.

For the top, it'll be easy to choose a new leader.

(Saw MACH5's Sharp's Pigmy, and hesitated before posting this one (^_^))

acerp_orangedream01_171125a.jpg acerp_orangedream01_171125b.jpg

Reaction score
In this stage i like to pot them bigger. Can you define "years ago"? Do you want to keep a slender trunk or do you want to use a few branches to pull?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A slender trunk I think, but I'll see: next stage is to repot it in the spring in a shallow pot to develop the nebari.

About 10 years I'd say. It didn't develop as much as those planted in the ground because it was always kept in a plastic pot.

Reaction score
With cuttings, i have the impression that the first years go slow. After they are established and you can give them a porous mixture and plenty of food they can boom. Not a bad start after 10 years.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
More sun, @AlainK, and they will acquire nice yellow highlights on the sun-exposed leafs/leaf-areas - those shaded will stay limey green. It makes for a color set that I really like. The only trouble is that once yellow they burn pretty easily, but they are in pots, so .... 🤔

Top Bottom