Acer P.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The leaves finally dropped on this one, it's pretty hairy right now. A needed cutback seems fairly straightforward, but thought I'd post and see if anyone has any thoughts.

WWM5D? Now that the standard has been set, I'm studying those trees closely. ;)

This has a pretty big base for JM, at least from the ones I've seen, and I have a couple slender types, so it will be a different feel for me. The base is about 10" across.

and yes, I know I have to spray the moss....

Attachments

• IMG_3015.jpg
    IMG_3015.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_3020.jpg
    IMG_3020.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 451

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Have fun with this one. Don't bother spraying. Use a soft toothbrush and water.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This will be nice one Judy. :)

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
NIce one! there are some really good video's on Acers on the web that include pruning in fall. Shows you how to and what to prune on them to make the look and grow even more better and beautiful next year.

Like the thick branches in the top upper part of the tree (because branches get thinner normally towards the top), upward growing branches, to strong growing branches and fork branches. If you do that with some good wiring the pads will be balanced and spread out nicely for light and air to enter and it will produce more inner buds.
Than the tree can even better and balanced with a lot of smaller twigs in a couple of seasons.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great material Judy, nice pick up with great potential! That's a big girl for ya! Below is a sketch based on pic 1 and 2 of one possible way to go with this maple. Although not really necessary, I am proposing a grafted second trunk to bring some interest down below. I think it would be nice to see some smaller detail contrasting against the powerful trunk.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great material Judy, nice pick up with great potential! That's a big girl for ya! Below is a sketch based on pic 1 and 2 of one possible way to go with this maple. Although not really necessary, I am proposing a grafted second trunk to bring some interest down below. I think it would be nice to see some smaller detail contrasting against the powerful trunk.

Go Speed Racer Go! Good idea, great drawing!
(nice tree JB)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the voluptuous idea of the drawing, it suits what the tree has naturally. Would you suggest cutting back most if not all of the branching and starting fresh? The left branch will be a challenge to re-angle, but I'll see if I can get some movement at least to pull it down. I wonder if I cut back hard, if I get something low to pop.
Thanks M5 for the work you do.
Also thanks for the comments from the rest of the gang, always appreciated!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Judy in my opinion yes, I would cut back hard and rebuild all your branches. That way you can also start introducing angles and such to your branches to match the character of the trunk. I think on the lower branch I agree that it may be tough but with some raffia and wire I think you can do something with it. Remember to use every trick in the book i.e. thread grafts if necessary to improve what you have :)

If you prune hard enough you might get lucky and get something way down to start a second trunk. If you pursue this idea I think I would opt for a graft from the same tree that has been pre-trained with some interesting movement and some girth to it.

Although there is debate as to what might be best time to work on maples, I would personally recommend doing all this heavy work in the spring :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I will try to keep my itchy hands off of it till spring... I think a total rebuild is the best direction as well. Right now the branches don't really have any connection to the trunk stylistically. At least I'll be able to get a good thick start for the graft. Nothing is long enough for a thread graft, so it'll have to be a cutting. Wonder if I can wire to introduce a bit of movement into the cutting before I stick it in to root.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I will try to keep my itchy hands off of it till spring... I think a total rebuild is the best direction as well. Right now the branches don't really have any connection to the trunk stylistically. At least I'll be able to get a good thick start for the graft. Nothing is long enough for a thread graft, so it'll have to be a cutting. Wonder if I can wire to introduce a bit of movement into the cutting before I stick it in to root.

Judy I would at least let one of your present branches grow to get some thickness and then air layer it to create your future second trunk. I definitely would wire and introduce the desired bends before you actually graft it into place.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll take a look and see if there is a good candidate with some shape that would be a good fit.
Thanks M5!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice tree Judy. :)

Awesome virt M5! Thanks!

I like the voluptuous idea of the drawing, it suits what the tree has naturally. Would you suggest cutting back most if not all of the branching and starting fresh? The left branch will be a challenge to re-angle, but I'll see if I can get some movement at least to pull it down. I wonder if I cut back hard, if I get something low to pop.
Thanks M5 for the work you do.
Also thanks for the comments from the rest of the gang, always appreciated!

Why? It should be very simple. Let me know if you need help...I might have some ideas how to do it. ;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
couldn't stop myself!

I started seeing the possibilities in the framework of this tree, and I do most of my work like this and my wiring in the winter, so I had a happy day and a bit getting this one going.
Looks like I'll not have to start branching over after all. Just did a lot of editing, and cutting back. Feels like a good start.
It is so strange how much better in person this one is. I think that the front facing branch will possibly get cut back more, after I get a couple starts on that one, I probably cut the wrong side of that one off... but I think it's the only real mistake, I took a lot of time and a lot of pics, and kept looking at them.
Oddly I like the third photo before I really started wiring much, but it couldn't stay that way. Needed to get some movement into them, even though I like the sweeping feeling that photo has. Will be better after the branches evolve.

Attachments

• IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_3015.jpg
    IMG_3015.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3054.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 422

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love the tree...and love what you've already done with it! One day I need to make a road trip to visit you. Maybe a show near that I could do...and swing by afterward. I am amazed at what you've shared here.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree Judy.Do you always prune this time of year, I've always pruned in mid august or closer to bud break

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had better growth with the red japs pruning in august, springtime pruning seemed to really slow there growth.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree Judy.Do you always prune this time of year, I've always pruned in mid august or closer to bud break
Thanks CT and mike.
I've always done hard pruning in winter. Haven't seen any issues with it, but could be due to my winter storage situation, where I'm able to keep them from any temp extremes. I have more time in the winter, and can barely get my potting done during my busy spring, so thankfully it works well for me.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy I have only owned one maple, killed it, but I was holding my breath hoping you did not cut this down. To me its a great looking trunk and the branches look in proportion to the tree. I like it even more with the wiring you did without losing what you already have. Nice job.

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ed, there was never a chance of a large chop on this tree. The trunk is pretty amazing, so it's just branching, which at this point is pretty evenly spaced, and if you will, textbook for the "stairstep" config. Which bodes well for its development. Not just because I only cut things that didn't work where it was, but every time I cut, it also accentuated the curves as the trunk already had. Wish I could show the tree as it appears in person.

Top Bottom