Acer Pal. acquisition

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I picked this up at the club last night. An artist was liquidating his stock because he was moving. I got it for a what I thought was a fair price. It's a decent start. Its biggest flaw is in those two wicked pruning scars on the front. It was sealed with that black tar stuff. I'd rotate it, to hide them, but the tree's curvature seems to suggest this as the front. I have 3 plans thus far:

1. Clean up the scars with a dremel to make them concave. Scar the edges of the wounds. Seal with (non-black) wound sealant. Early spring I believe.
2. Choose a branch to allow to lengthen to take a cutting from.
3. Make 2 in arch grafts to balance nebari next year from cuttings.

What do you think?

Front, Right, Back Left.
DSC03720.jpg
DSC03722.jpg
DSC03721.jpg
DSC03723.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll probably use the back as the new front...just tilted back up (forward) to be upright then tilt a bit to the left.

The trunk is too round and straight right now. You need some "creative" ways to give it character. ;)

View attachment 30388

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can do some reasonable bending on this size trunk still if you want. I think it's a decent feminine tree as is, but needs some taper. I'd try for a sacrifice low, or do some grafting to create a better root base to pull interest low as well as up top.
Good pick up. I have a very similar one.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can do some reasonable bending on this size trunk still if you want. I think it's a decent feminine tree as is, but needs some taper. I'd try for a sacrifice low, or do some grafting to create a better root base to pull interest low as well as up top.
Good pick up. I have a very similar one.

Thank you for the feedback. Would you share a picture?

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As far as the scars are concerned, I'd leave the branches that are around the one chop/scar on, as I think it would help the healing process.
Good luck.
G

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any Thoughts on These Cuts?

Trying to decide a future course of action. Would anyone care to comment on these two adjustments? Please and thank you.
Removed Top Left.jpg

Removed Top Right.jpg

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I might be tempted to put this in the category "long term development needed" and cut it very short (or air layer and keep the top to practice on). I'm talking several inches high, right above what looks like a dormant but on the left. It does kinda have a tubular trunk. Might surprise you in a few years.

Attachments

• maple virt.jpg
    maple virt.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ouch. That's a huge chop. I'm not completely against that idea, thouogh. The more I look at it, the less future I see.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If I wasn't happy with the direction this tree is going, I would put it in a slightly larger development pot, and ignore it for a couple years (I mean just don't mess with it...) and see what you think of it later. If you cut the top back hard too, you'll probably get more options.

I have some trees, that will never be much more than ok, and that's ok. They still teach me things.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hadn't been posting or updating but wanted to mention this little maple. I took it to Roy Nagatoshi at our club meeting and he said something along the lines of, "This is a hedge. We need to work on the skeleton". He helped me make some decisions and made some cuts.

IMG_4023.JPG

IMG_4025.JPG

IMG_4026.JPG

IMG_4027.JPG

So as he told me, it has started to bud back where the larger cuts were made as I'll need a branch to fill in the obvious void. I'm curious if defoliating this healthy tree would assist in pushing those new buds. What think?

Thanks for your time.

B

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Only defoliate strong trees ... is it pushing vigourous growth yet? You get far more buds pop when it's strong.

Jake16

Seed
Reaction score
aww I liked it better before. :) It had a very natural look but it still is an amazing tree.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
aww I liked it better before. :)

I'm sure it's set up now to be a better tree in the future. It may not look as good to you as it did before, but to go forward, sometimes one must go back to progress forward. At least that's what I've learned...

Top Bottom