Acer Palmatum Cutting - Stored Energy or True New Buds

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
My first post. Hello all!
Got a hold of a few A. Palmatum cuttings. I saw new growth in a few weeks time. I took cuttings of the root stock lower growth that had a Bloodgood scion on top. The small to medium cuttings did nothing. The largest appears to be rooting.

With a larger cutting could I just be seeing the stored energy of the stem and expect the buds to just dry up and wither away or does it look good and is rooting?

Attachments

• BBFCED35-A29B-4F82-8DE2-509094F79F50.jpeg
    BBFCED35-A29B-4F82-8DE2-509094F79F50.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 41
  • A428A524-976A-4EEC-8975-4AD22BF4BDA0.jpeg
    A428A524-976A-4EEC-8975-4AD22BF4BDA0.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 38
  • CCFD3415-8FF6-45EB-BFD5-7225FC1C6276.jpeg
    CCFD3415-8FF6-45EB-BFD5-7225FC1C6276.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 46

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
very likely stored up energy. The black in your pictures will continue to move down the stem too most likely. I have struck some pretty big cuttings. If you get full size leaves down low you have a chance. I believe the ones up top will wilt.

Last edited:

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I’m misting 2x a day and rooting hormone was used. It’s about a 1/2-3/4 inch.
I did the tug on it test, it doesn’t budge. Can actually hold the entire 4” by the stem base.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Thanks all. It will be interesting. In the pics, there are a lot of buds.
The biggest cutting doing this got me to go out and get thicker cuttings :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m misting 2x a day and rooting hormone was used. It’s about a 1/2-3/4 inch.
I did the tug on it test, it doesn’t budge. Can actually hold the entire 4” by the stem base.
I would recommend dropping that practice.
If you have young roots forming and you pull on your pant, what do you think happens?
"Pulling to see whether it has rooted" must have been the strangest advice I have ever seen re. propagation. Unfortunately, it is a widespread idea.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a good way to see that it was rooted.

In this stage water is more of an issue than energy.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMHO, the best way to know that a cutting has rooted is seeing it push new growth.
exactly.Although I must say.. After 5 months I am tempted to check my pie cuttings. Guess I will have to wait another 8 before I know whether these have rooted!

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
New growth has pushed...
Question, have any of you seen latent energy from a fat cutting push new growth only to have it dry up and wither away after a few weeks. I’m thinking the growth may be to good to be true.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have no idea what 'latent energy' is.

Extending new growth requires quite a bit of water. Cuttings taken before bud break will limply push out new growth that will quickly desiccate outside of a humidity tent. If that 'latent energy', yes, I've seen it.

A rooted cutting will produce new growth that remains turgid so long as the soil/medium/substrate in which the cutting is struck stays moist, just like a plant in a pot or in the ground that is moist will do. If that is 'latent energy', yes, I've seen it.

I've also seen new growth go flaccid when the soil/medium/substrate goes dry. I presume this isn't the loss of 'latent energy', but it is the same thing that happens with softwood cuttings if they are not tented. I've seen it.

What I do know is that new cells elongate by osmosis of water into their vacuoles. I know that this process is due to auxin and gibberellins loosening the coupling of one wrap of cellulose to the next in the cell wall. I know that buds are the primary source of auxin (so no buds = dead). When there is a lower water potential outside of the cell, the water leaves the vacuoles and the cells turn flaccid since the cell wall is not fully formed and rigid woody stems.

I also know that when a stem is cut, some cells are killed. Their last act is to release compounds that initiate compartmentalization of the damage. Strands in the phloem tubes come loose and clog the sieve plates preventing the loss of sugars. Living cells in the wood clog the lumens preventing water flow. If you've messed with cut flowers, you know that thise process takes time, something like a week or so. Then no more water can get into the stem until there are roots. The phloem tube process is much faster, so the sugars in the stream largely remain and might be considered to be 'stored energy' even though I do believe that biologists recognize starch grains in the vacuoles of mature living cells is 'stored energy' - carbohydrates produced by photosynthesis in the leaves are the sole source of physical/chemical energy.

So, I know that normal, healthy, new growth that lasts for several weeks only occurs if there are roots.

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
IMHO, the best way to know that a cutting has rooted is seeing it push new growth.
Agreed, just this week I was seeing if a seiju cutting had rooted and accidently pulled it out, had alot of roots but the perlite is light enough it came right out.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Thanks.
The darkening is going to keep on rolling.
Looks like it’s deciding what to do with itself right now at the new buds.

Attachments

• 3DC5FF8A-428F-42D4-8BA4-EB51F798D625.jpeg
    3DC5FF8A-428F-42D4-8BA4-EB51F798D625.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom