Acer palmatum Escape or tile

Pnzrdvsn

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, couldn't find any direct information on this after several hours on google and this forum, I have a sapling I plan on training for bonsai, as its just starting out I wanted to know specifically the best method for growing a thick trunk. I plan on doing a formal up right with, one page I read said using the escape technique would be the way too go. Then I read this forum and read about the tile method. Which method would be ideal for the specific tree? How long should I wait before applying either of these techniques?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 48

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you say escape method, do you mean planting it in the ground and letting it grow freely?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Planting it in the ground is the best/ fastest way to grow the thick trunk you are looking for. Planting on a tile will help you accomplish a really flat, flared root system. There is also air-layering which you can do later to get a nice flat nebari when the trunk has grown to your desired thickness.

Pnzrdvsn

Seed
Reaction score
The escape method I was reading about you let the roots grow into another pot below, one method I saw they planted a smaller nursery pot with holes in it, into a larger one. If I was not in an apartment I would plant directly into the ground. I will either build a grow bed or get a large pot/bucket to do one of these methods

Top Bottom