Acer palmatum fireglow

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am judging that this will be a long hot summer. I would prepare for the worst.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
can I repot and layer the same year ? guess not right ?

and why not touch the root of the layer ? I thought it would be just like repoting and I can wash the roots

Sure, you can repot the main tree and separate the layer in the same year, and it sounds like the layered roots have grown into the bag and it's time to separate it: cut it off, remove the bag, and secure the new root ball into the pot. If you disturb the newly rooted layer in the first year, it's likely to kill some/too many of the tender new roots needed to sustain the tree. Also, separate and pot the layer first, then repot the main tree. Less disturbance on the newly repotted tree that way and you can focus on one thing at a time.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks again, my main concern is the soil used for the layer is peat moss to keep humidity so not draining at all I guess I will have to put the leayer in peat moss this year and pay attention to the watering...

Wish me luck I'll keep you posted, guess it will all happen in a week or two

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian I have some buds that started showing leaves but most have just started to swollen.
Is it time or I wait a bit more?

I have read that it is better to repot a bit late then early what do you think?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
akhater,

I want to hear Brians answer, but I think a bit early is better than late. It sounds like with just a few leaves poking, out this might be the perfect time.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for the reply

I remember a video on YouTube from a UK guy and vaguely a post from Walter Pall both stating they waited till it was almost leafed out.. I am just afraid I misunderstood

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha, I think everyone may do it just a bit different than the next.

Any time right as the tree is waking up for spring should be safe as far as I understand. But there are many here with far more experience than I have.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian I have some buds that started showing leaves but most have just started to swollen.
Is it time or I wait a bit more?

I have read that it is better to repot a bit late then early what do you think?

Sounds like perfect timing. Have fun!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get it done ASAP. Open leaves and repotting aren't the greatest combination. Root pruning and repotting are best done just BEFORE buds break into leaves, but if most of the buds haven't opened, it's not a huge deal.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like I'm going to take the day off tomorrow :)
I admit I'm a bit nervous, I have repotted many times by this is by far the biggest and most expensive tree

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Get it done ASAP. Open leaves and repotting aren't the greatest combination. Root pruning and repotting are best done just BEFORE buds break into leaves, but if most of the buds haven't opened, it's not a huge deal.

Can anyone shed any real confirmation on to this?
I have read that this IS the way, but then I hop on to another site or talk to another person and I hear that it's better to wait until they start to open.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you for the examples, those are actually two sites I was going to reference.
I guess, like most all other aspects of bonsai, it comes down to personal preference, even between Mr. Pall and Potter there is variation.

I'm ready to repot :D The weather is finally here.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
for my "defense" walter pall post http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2007/03/reoptting-of-teh-big-maple-part-1.html and the youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTcdho7vSMI both repotting maple

both claiming to wait till the leaves starts to show

Now, does that "start to show" mean "buds are extending"-start-to-show or "leaves are unfurling"-start-to-show? - sorry, I can't go to the linked sites - blocked here in China, unfortunately... :(

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@daygan in Walter's post the tree is almost in full leaf, in the video the buds are open and the leaves are starting to point their nose

@raydomz yea it's time but I am not ready :p

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the layer removal went bad :(

the layer had taken only from one side and the bag was full, i cut and opened the bad the layer soil fell on and took off most of the roots :( I guess I wasn't prepared to this.

It still has some roots but very few, I hope it will survive but I don't have high hopes

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the layer removal went bad :(

the layer had taken only from one side and the bag was full, i cut and opened the bad the layer soil fell on and took off most of the roots :( I guess I wasn't prepared to this.

It still has some roots but very few, I hope it will survive but I don't have high hopes

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would watch the base very carefully. With the twin trunks there is the possiblity of creating some unattractive inverse taper.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
repotting went better than the layer removal... it took me 2 solid hours to clean the root ball and it was severely root-bound but I guess i did an OK job

some pics

Attachments

• 09032012043.jpg
    09032012043.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 09032012045.jpg
    09032012045.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 09032012046.jpg
    09032012046.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 09032012047.jpg