Acer palmatum fireglow

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and a final pic job done and secured

as you can see it is not the best nebari ever but i think for now the priority is to make it live

Attachments

• 09032012049.jpg
    09032012049.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 128

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good job, but you probably could've taken at least fifty percent more roots off. I'd have reduced it by 80 percent or even more.

The first thing I do when I encounter a solid block of roots fresh out of a nursery container like this is to saw the bottom two thirds of it right off. This frees up the rest of the root mass considerably and saves a ton of work. It is also ultimately less damaging than trying to comb through such a tangle ripping and breaking roots along the way. Cut roots recover much more quickly than broken or half broken ones.

I would have also thinned the number of roots comign directly off the trunk, saving the more picturesque ones. This takes a little bit of thinking, like deciding which are ultimately redundant and/or which are critical. I'd say at least half of the roots emanating directly from the trunk on this tree could be elminated with now problems.

Last edited:

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well another thing I learned :) I didn't dare cut more. actually I didn't cut at all, there was so much breaking anyway ...

Guess I'll go harder next spring.

You think, with time, I can get something decent with this nebari ? I'm not looking for a show winner, something "ok" would be good enough for me.

Anything else I should keep in mind for next spring ?

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You could definately get some decent roots on a maple, if you give it enough time and the proper growing techniques. Enough time is the key...it is unlikely you will see much progress on the roots in the next year or two. Nice work on the repot, I know how intimidating it is the first time... keeping it alive is always priority number one and what you've done should do just that.

Don't worry about next spring yet. There is alot of growing season this year to worry about first. We will worry about next spring once the tree recovers and grows strongly this year. Fertilize well, water it properly, and keep it alive and thriving.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you MattB, when you say it won't grow much on the roots for the next 2 years you mean there is no need to repot it next spring

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repotting a tree every year will cause it's demise.

Such frequent root disturbance doesn't allow roots to develop to do much of anything. A wait of at least two years is in order for younger trees, perhaps three, less if you want to develop trunks and other big developmental stuff.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Repotting a tree every year will cause it's demise.

Such frequent root disturbance doesn't allow roots to develop to do much of anything. A wait of at least two years is in order for younger trees, perhaps three, less if you want to develop trunks and other big developmental stuff.

I can agree with the last part of this, but done properly, repotting a maple every year will cause it's development of a good nebari.

This maple has been repotted every year for the last 8 years, removing probably 75% of the roots, bare rooting, blasting with a hose, and planing off the bottom of the trunk ...and will probably need to continue for the next 3 until the tertiary roots thicken and develop. It's the only way to develop a decent nebari if you aren't fortunate enough to start with one.

Akhater, I do agree that you could have taken more, but the goal of removing more isn't for the sake of removal, it's to ensure you leave only the roots that are radially spread, tapering and ramifying in a pleasing way. Waiting 2 years makes this more difficult if you're trying to sort out roots close to the trunk. Read up and you'll be ready for next year. Keep a good eye on watering now...

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Again thank you all,

I have learned the root part and will be more careful next time. As far as this tree is concerned I guess I won't repot it next year unless I have a very clear idea of what to do with the nebari/roots and if it shows real strength this season.

One thing you all agreed on is that repotting for repotting is useless so early next spring will check again with you, if you can help me out with what to do with the roots I'll give it a try.

Cheers and thanks again

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Again thank you all,

I have learned the root part and will be more careful next time. As far as this tree is concerned I guess I won't repot it next year unless I have a very clear idea of what to do with the nebari/roots and if it shows real strength this season.

One thing you all agreed on is that repotting for repotting is useless so early next spring will check again with you, if you can help me out with what to do with the roots I'll give it a try.

Cheers and thanks again

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Again thank you all,

Cheers and thanks again

Look st the photos in post #60. From this point, you could have turned it upside down, pruned everything that was growing downward, so it would sit flat on a table. Then, comb out radially everything that is left, then trim it back so you're left with a skirt of finer toots about 12" in diameter. However, then you'd need to plant it in something very shallow. Between now and next time you decide to repot, find something to plant it in that is about 2.5" deep, so you stop downward root growth, in favor of radial root growth.

Hopefully this tree is secured to its container, so it can establish itself. Also, watch watering habits, it is in a lot of soil, and you can over water it if you're not careful.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A quick question, the layer I took from this tree the just before I repot it (almost one month ago) hasn't leafed out yet, but it is not dead. I'm keeping it in the shade (but bright place) should I give it more sun or better leave it where it is ?

thanks

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an update on this thread,

The tree is still here and going strong, I missed however the repotting season for this year since I was abroad.

well I'm not exactly sad about it, I will let it grow one more year and try to strike another air-layer, something I failed to do last year.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Could he use a hose to clean the rootball without root pruning and add some good soil?

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could he use a hose to clean the rootball without root pruning and add some good soil?

That's exactly what I did on the first repot because I didn't dare do root pruning since I had no idea how healthy the old roots were.

Next spring, however, I am planning drastic root pruning

Top Bottom