0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
if the salt spray on a small island would allow for it, but I saw maples near the shore in Provincetown, MA and you would think they must get some year round salt spray.
I live on an island surrounded by 10C salt water and I live within 200 meters of it. I have about a dozen different varieties of acer palmatum, plus a few acer shirasawanum and acer japonicum. None are affected by the year round salt spray.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
THats an awesome Idea..I have a fridge under my house. I guess I can make room - Ill be loosing beer space though.. LOL

Do you water in while its in the fridge?
I watered when the soil (akadama) was just barely moist and the tree wintered beautifully for me in Orlando. They just needed to get enough chill hours. As a side note, I would shade Japanese maples there in the Keys.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I live on an island surrounded by 10C salt water and I live within 200 meters of it. I have about a dozen different varieties of acer palmatum, plus a few acer shirasawanum and acer japonicum. None are affected by the year round salt spray.

That's excellent news!

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I watered when the soil (akadama) was just barely moist and the tree wintered beautifully for me in Orlando. They just needed to get enough chill hours. As a side note, I would shade Japanese maples there in the Keys.
I definitely will shade them. At least we are going into our "winter time" now. Its still hot as balls but that will subside in the next 6 weeks or so. - hopefully.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, i worked my maple seedlings all winter long with various techniques that i will be posting on over the next several weeks as i get time.

Firstly, i want to show the clump process. I will take current pics of all the clumps i planted to share soon.

I spent some time trying to research how i wanted to make some clumps. I do mean clumps also, wasnt really thinking much of a forest but i think now i should have considered. O well, we will see how they turn out. I can always start some more in the coming years.

First, i took a cheap cutting board and drilled about 8-10 holes, (probably should have been odd numbers but o well). Bought some cheap plastic salad bowls and drilled drainage and tye down holes in them.

Something i was thinking about for a while was how do you backfill the soil underneath the plate that the seedlings are grown through. So i just did it the best i could. See below.

First, the seedlings, since they were potted up several times last year, were rooted trimmed back to their original plug diameter to allow me to bunch them up closely.

IMG_4018.jpg

These seedlings were grown with the clump in mind so they were not wired last year like the other seedlings. The required seedlings were bunched up in the pot and plate carefully slid down the seedlings. Once i got the plate down and made sure the rootballs were located in the required space, i would lift up the plate some and backfill with soil.

IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

Once the soil was filled enough to when i pressed the plate down it would push soil out the sides a bit, i secured the plate down. Then i filled with soil and used twine to pull and position the trunks how i wanted them.

Keep in mind that i am shooting for a clump style where all the roots grow together and basically become a large raft look. This will take a while but i have the time. Some i will grow larger and allow to thicken and some i will keep smaller.

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

I dont have any final pics as of now, but i did fill the bowl up to the top with soil, not all the ways but close.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Among those that germinated in 2016, I've got some, collected in Britain, that must be from weeping cultivars, like these one (comparison with a leaf from a specimen in the ground, plain species, about 3 metres+, 10 feet+) :

1st one, about 60 cm :

acerp-div-16A_190426a.jpg
acerp-div-16A_190426b.jpg
acerp-div-16A_190426c.jpg

2nd one, about 30 cm :

acerp-div-16B_190426a.jpg
acerp-div-16B_190426b.jpg

Life is like a box of chocolates... :D

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is what I ended up doing to a lot of the singles. I also tried CDs. My roots were crap on most as they were started in small trays then up potted last year without touching the roots. Figured it would be better to let them later then try and mess with the roots.

There were a few that had decent roots that I just trimmed and spread out to start working.B348F808-A60A-4830-AFDF-5BFF15424FF8.jpeg
1675E5A8-F0E6-4837-975C-A7700CD1544F.jpeg
373B5232-EC14-4E56-885D-D38BDB9C8BB8.jpeg
4DC4E344-7206-4828-B2FB-C6BB229A3692.jpeg

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This spring has been soooo hot this year with no rain. I’m having to move all my maples in just about full shade to keep the leaves from burning. Need rain. I keep hoping the rain will start soon. Seems like I can keep them in full sun when it rains every day. Normally that starts around June.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That is one of the problem we southerners face with Acer Palmatums. Spring is the best season for us that is why am ready for Fall already.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i had a few other that put on roughly 8 ft of growth last year. Huge leaders. This year though growth has been maybe 2ft and now burning bad. the shoots are turning brown. about to spray for fungus. dont see how with it being so dry though

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i know the big plastic white tubs are a little large for sure on these.. I'm thinking they will grow into this year. just repotted this year, 2021 spring.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is probably the strongest and largest. I'm thinking of putting in ground this year but i have more time to think about it. was trying to work on roots first.. for a bit at least.

IMG_5488.JPG

I just watered by the way.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is alot to share. I still have ALOT of trees, at least for me. I'm mostly just enjoying it by learning it through feel the advice given.

I'm planning to try and get most of them on the thread this spring.

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is alot to share. I still have ALOT of trees, at least for me. I'm mostly just enjoying it by learning it through feel the advice given.

I'm planning to try and get most of them on the thread this spring.
Looking forward to the update

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
more pics

larger view

IMG_5487.JPG

IMG_5489.JPG

IMG_5493.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5496.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5498.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5490.JPG
    IMG_5490.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5491.JPG
    IMG_5491.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 1

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
more pics

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5501.JPG

IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

O no. dont tell anyone about the sap.

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5506.JPGIMG_5507.JPGIMG_5508.JPGIMG_5509.JPG

Last edited:

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
more..

IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_5512.JPG

IMG_5513.JPG

IMG_5514.JPG

Its probably not the best. Just having fun.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i will likely cut the long branches even closer when i figure out a spring plan.

Top Bottom