Acer palmatum 'Goshiki kotohime'

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello All,

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between Acer palmatum 'Kotohime' and Acer palmatum 'Goshiki kotohime' ?

Regards,
Martin

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Goshiki means verigated

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Goshiki Koto Hime Japanese maple is a variegated form of the common Koto Hime Japanese maple. The word "Goshiki" means five different colors, but is used to denote variegated cultivars of many species including Pomegranate, Osmanthus and others.

I've grown and propagated both cultivars for over 30 years, and although Goshiki Koto Hime is often "pretty" in early spring, the multi coloring fades as the season goes on. It is also NOT as vigorous and winter hardy as Koto Hime. Remember that variegated (and cut leaf cultivars) are not as vigorous or strong as the green cultivars of most species.

I'll stick to Koto Hime Japanese maple for bonsai training, but will admire Goshiki Koto Hime Japanese maples in spring through photos.

Bill

KOTO-HIME-TOP.jpg
Koto Hime Japanese maple air layered in 1986. This bonsai is actually the top off another tree. Photo and complete training information is in my forthcoming new book, Classical Bonsai Art- A Half Century of Bonsai Study, the Creations and Passion of William N. Valavanis

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice pot, too...glaze looks like Aiba Koyo?

Top Bottom