Acer Palmatum, hollow trunk?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Was given this Acer palmatum today. Screenshot_20200623-161222_Gallery.jpg
Main trunk has died off unless there's chance of any new buds appearing on it? And has a hollow base with no budds or leaves on the top.
Screenshot_20200623-161257_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200623-161314_Gallery.jpg
The other sides show less the dead parts or hollow trunk but no clear interesting side.
Screenshot_20200623-161325_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200623-161342_Gallery.jpg

Do u think a jinned main trunk with the hollow dead wood and restarting with one of the branches as a new trunk works for an acer palmatum or is this better left for conifers?
Any advice on potential plan or style or pics of maples with jinned thick trunks and hollow dead wood would be great as well.
Thanks

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A dead trunk is a dead trunk. If you want to explore the idea of dead wood on a maple, do it. Regardless of how one tries to eliminate a dead trunk, it will be a very long time until the living part will regrow over it. So do what you can to make it interesting or hide it somehow.

btw, you have definitely have a maple, but I don't think it is a palmatum.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
A dead trunk is a dead trunk. If you want to explore the idea of dead wood on a maple, do it. Regardless of how one tries to eliminate a dead trunk, it will be a very long time until the living part will regrow over it. So do what you can to make it interesting or hide it somehow.

btw, you have definitely have a maple, but I don't think it is a palmatum.

Was wondering about the idea as leaf wasn't similar to acer palmatum, not really familiar with mapple varieties. Will leaves size reduce to make a nice bonsai?Trunk looks dead as there's no leaves on top, do u think it might still budd out of the trunk or should I consider one of the branches as new trunk?

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All maples will reduce in leaf size with proper care but the level of reduction is variable to species.

I tried to get sub 5 inch leaves on a big leaf maple and killed it in the process, but that was before I started messing with chemical growth regulators.

It is definitely in whatever native soil that came from the nursery field, and will not thrive in that in a pot.

looks to me like the graft failed, and the stronger root stock material lived.

I’ve gotten trees like this before, and I bet there is not as much root mass in that pot as one would expect. Pull it out of that pot and remove the soil untill you start to see roots then stop removing soil and drop it back in, filling the void space with freely draining media.

Do a full repot when it is dormant.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Was wondering about the idea as leaf wasn't similar to acer palmatum, not really familiar with mapple varieties. Will leaves size reduce to make a nice bonsai?Trunk looks dead as there's no leaves on top, do u think it might still budd out of the trunk or should I consider one of the branches as new trunk?
Here's a group of acer platanoides (aka 'Norway maples') that I grew from volunteers found sprouted in my landscape (seeds from my neighbor's trees) and a leaf from the mother tree - no chemicals, just bonsai cultivation.

full

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's a group of acer platanoides (aka 'Norway maples') that I grew from volunteers found sprouted in my landscape (seeds from my neighbor's trees) and a leaf from the mother tree - no chemicals, just bonsai cultivation.

full
But think about how small you could get those leaves with chemicals ;)

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But think about how small you could get those leaves with chemicals ;)
Probably overdid it with the PGR on this acer griseum.

treated vs untreated.

Attachments

• F8954898-995D-40B4-AA9A-668E5C94EAD0.jpeg
    F8954898-995D-40B4-AA9A-668E5C94EAD0.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 17
  • EC3F51EF-B9F6-4925-8676-D35667F8C832.jpeg
    EC3F51EF-B9F6-4925-8676-D35667F8C832.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 17

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
All maples will reduce in leaf size with proper care but the level of reduction is variable to species.

I tried to get sub 5 inch leaves on a big leaf maple and killed it in the process, but that was before I started messing with chemical growth regulators.

It is definitely in whatever native soil that came from the nursery field, and will not thrive in that in a pot.

looks to me like the graft failed, and the stronger root stock material lived.

I’ve gotten trees like this before, and I bet there is not as much root mass in that pot as one would expect. Pull it out of that pot and remove the soil untill you start to see roots then stop removing soil and drop it back in, filling the void space with freely draining media.

Do a full repot when it is dormant.
Thanks will do so. Wasn't familiar with chemical growth regulators, will check those up.
Socks to have to live with the graft bulge and have root stock material but hoping I'll manage to grow and thicken a branch from that trunk and that it'll look natural enough. I'll leave the dead trunk hoping a branch will emerge from it. any advice on which branch from the ones there to work with ?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score

full
Thats great colors on those I hope mine would get to that red

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thats great colors on those I hope mine would get to that red
There are both red and green trees in the group. The red ones are dark during the season and turn crimson in fall; the normally green leaves turn yellow (as in the pic). During the season, normally dark red leaves in shade will turn toward being green. Your tree appears to have both (which leads me to think it is Crimson King grafted onto regular green a. platanoides) = kinda exciting!!!

Top Bottom