Acer palmatum in Beaverton

Bob824

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi,

New to the forum, and recently got back into bonsai after a brief stint in the early 2000s. Never really out of the beginner stage, so please be kind.

Picked up this Acer palmatum in the middle of a nursery field of what seemed like leftover plants. Not sure what exact variety (or cultivar), so any info would be appreciated.

Am thinking informal upright. The amount of soil in the training pot is a bit low, so considering a report but worried about timing.

Any and all suggestions welcome. Tree is in Beaverton, OR, and will be kept outdoors year round.

Thank you,
Bob824
EC01C5D4-BE01-4FA8-82AB-4F30FF2BD462.jpeg9DCF7DBB-636A-4824-BB8F-6B20CF57904F.jpeg19B1C163-DAAE-4E75-A9C4-218E7DF948FA.jpeg5C51DD18-AA7A-4289-9284-0FC14E978F81.jpeg

Bob824

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No replies? Maybe I wasn’t too clear.

Anyone know what variety my Acer palmatum is?

Any suggestions or advice on repotting at this time of the year? The current pot is very low on soil, and I think the tree may be root bound.

Feel free to make other suggestions too.

Thank you.
Bob824

Farwest

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Welcome! It appears to be a standard acer palmatum green mountain maple. They make great bonsai. Hearty and strong growing. Definitely my favorite. I would just water it; fertilize it every few weeks until the Fall; and enjoy it until next March.

You’re in close proximity to one of the best clubs in the country! You can probably get some solid one-on-one advice at one of their meetings https://www.portlandbonsai.org/. Maybe message @parhamr for the specifics.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Surprised you didn't go there first. Better first hand help any day;).

Bob824

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Farwest, thanks for the info on @parhamr!

Thanks, @Potawatomi13.

I still plan to check out Portland Bonsai, but all their activities are understandably on hold at the moment.

When I was in the Philippines, I was able to get first hand advice from our equivalent of John Naka, but that was many moons ago.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think it is too late for traditional repot with root prune though I have seen it done after defoliating the tree.
If you are concerned about lack of soil in the pot just lift the whole root ball out, add some more soil and put it back in with some more around the edges. Slip potting like that an be done any time because you are not cutting many roots.
As already stated, probably straight ordinary AP which is even better than most named varieties.

The trunk does not have much taper. That's up to you but most of us expect our trees to look old with thicker base and tapering trunk. Reducing the trunk and growing a new apex would help a lot I think and would also put some more bends into that trunk.

Top Bottom