Acer palmatum Koto no ito (3 trunks from cuttings)

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
hello, here's a projet (long term project) with a palmatum cultivar that i gought because i liked the leaves very much. Very feminie and light looking.

I plan to have bigger and higher trees so that they can fuse together at the base. I don't know the cultivar Koto no ito at all.

IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG

The curves are repetives, but i did my best, and didn't want to break the trunks
IMG_0990.JPG

The nebari are nice because the pro who did the cuttings is very good (the cuttings have produced many roots)
IMG_0991.JPG

In the green house (opened for aeration) to prevent the agressive Wind blow i have in my place, near to the beach.
IMG_0993.JPG

I will remove the wires in a few weeks

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Unfortunatly i lost 2 trunks this spring.

Here is the last one but it grows well. Maybe i'll add 2 cutting this spring, or maybe i'll make a literaty style tree.

acer palmatum koto no ito 2020 07 21 001.jpg

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I worked a little on the nebari, after removing the soil.

Here is tree now, after a season of growth ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2020 09 30 (1).JPG

A root has grown under the clips ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2020 09 30 (3).JPG

The nebari uncovered ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2020 09 30 (4).JPG

An ugly big root has grown too much, i will cut it next spring ->
Seeing this big root, i think i should have checked the nebari earlier, i could have cut this big root earlier, and the nebari would have been better
acer palmatum koto no ito 2020 09 30 (5).JPG

The clips removed to free the roots ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2020 09 30 (6).JPG

I changed the position of a few roots to give movement and to put them in abetter place ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2020 09 30 (7).JPG
acer palmatum koto no ito 2020 09 30 (9).JPG

I cut 2 big roots to try to developp more the weak ones ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2020 09 30 (8).JPG

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi @clem
Bummer about losing the two trunks.
I am familiar with planting on a board but I am confused as to why the tree(s) were not planted in the middle of it. Are you trying to grow the weaker roots stronger?
Charles

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi @clem
Bummer about losing the two trunks.
I am familiar with planting on a board but I am confused as to why the tree(s) were not planted in the middle of it. Are you trying to grow the weaker roots stronger?
Charles
Hello Charles, i think i lost 2 cuttings because i did a lot of work on them, as they were already active (with leaves). I wired them, and i transplant them, and i fixed them on a piece of wood, without any soil between the roots & the board : that's a lot for cutting, which is a weaker plant than older trees with bigger rootball.

I put the 3 trunks on the side because i just started to fix the 1rst trunk on a side of the board, to let some place for the others. After that, I fixed the 2 other trunks next to the 1rst, so at the end there was a bigger space in the major empty space. It's just a coincidence, but anyway, IMO, it isn't bad that the nebari grows more in the major empty space (in the same direction of the tree because your look will go on this side and because the trees are supposed to be planted shifted in the final pot so that the major empty space is bigger and the trunks direction is obvious).
__palma.jpg

thanks for your interest in my trees 🤗

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Clem,
Um, sorry to disagree as I can see your intentions but...I think your roots into the empty space is backwards/wrong side.
So with the lean to the left you have, there are minimal roots to stabilise/balance the tree on the right.
If you have a look at trees in your area/gardens, you will notice that the bulk of the main roots would be stronger on the right. If a wind prone or leaning tree, the roots are on the opposite side to your picture.
Just looking at the picture, not trying to be rude or anything.
By the way, with Spring here now, I am getting excited to try out the techniques for JM cuttings you so kindly provided via blog.
Charles

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
no problem ! i enjoy to discuss about aesthetics ;)
In Kokufu albums you'll mostly find some trees with very well balanced nebari, but you also can find trees like you describe with big anchor roots on the opposite side of the movement. When you have a tree with a strong inclination ( = shakan style), i agree with you that it is better to have some big roots on the opposite side of the inclination, in order to have the feeling that the tree will not fall down, to have a good stability... ->
DSCN2134.jpg
You can also find many trees going more or less in one direction, with roots going the same direction. I prefer those trees because the major empty space is more interesting when you have roots emerging on the same side of the tree's direction. You have this way more interesting focal points on the same side ->
DSCN1908.jpg
DSCN2537.jpg

Last edited:

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
A few days ago, i added 2 Koto No Ito cuttings on the tree, to get the 3 trunk again.
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 02 24 (1).JPG
A big & ugly root to cut ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 02 24 (2).JPG

The big root cut and covered with paste ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 02 24 (5).JPG

The wire to fix the new cutting in the good position ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 02 24 (7).JPG

With the cutting in position ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 02 24 (8).JPG

I added another little cutting in the back, to give more depth ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 02 24 (10).JPG
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 02 24 (12).JPG

The rootball of the 3 cuttings/ I tried to position the roots correctly ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 02 24 (13).JPG

The repotting finished :) ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 02 24 (14).JPG

I plan to cut the trunks like this later ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 02 24 (11).jpg

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
some news. The trees grow (pics taken on the beginning of July) ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 07 08 (1).JPG

A small tree lost many roots (expect one) so i'm not sure i'll keep it later (i dunno yet) ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 07 08 (2).JPG
The green line shows the living part ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2021 07 08 (2virt).jpg

Reactions: ATM

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello, i repotted this tree ->
acer palmatum koto no ito 2023 03 13 (1).JPG
acer palmatum koto no ito 2023 03 13 (2).JPG
acer palmatum koto no ito 2023 03 13 (3).JPG
acer palmatum koto no ito 2023 03 13 (4).JPG
acer palmatum koto no ito 2023 03 13 (5).JPG

Comparing to my other JM cultivars, it didn't grow very much and this Koto No Ito cultivar, in my experience, tends to lose roots for no reason... IMO, it isn't the best JM cultivar for Bonsai. I will see how it grows/evolves in the years to come ;)

Top Bottom