Acer Palmatum leaf ID

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone have an idea what this might be? I picked it up 2 years ago from a nursery, didn't have a label or anything on it. The leaves are pretty small, which makes me think it's some kind of dwarf cultivar? Google hasn't helped yet.
IMG_20190424_200428.jpg

I know there's like a million of these cultivars out there, and really it probably doesn't matter what it is, but whatever it is, I like the leaf size and shape. I'm air layering off the top and going to be planting the bottoms half in the ground to get some size on it.

IMG_20190424_221643.jpg

I'll update this thread again when I separate the layer.

Some of these leaves are so tiny. Is this normal to have leaves this small with out even trying to reduce the leaves yet? I'm new to JM.
IMG_20190424_222715.jpg

MAPLE

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Is the small leaf size consistent throughout the tree?
I can get pretty small leaves being produce on my regular Acer p although not consistently throughout the tree.

Are there any spots of mature bark yet?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Your maple is just a Japanese maple. Probably grown from seed in which case it is a new variety. Every seedling is different from the parents so every seedling is an individual.
Small leaves usually means a smaller sized tree but most of my smaller JM are also quite slow growing so frustrating to grow as bonsai because of the slow development.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the leaves range in size between the sizes in the two pictures. Nothing bigger than the ones in the first picture. It is a smaller tree, just startig to get mature bark at the base, which I'm guessing is only 1/2 inch or so? Maybe 3/⁴

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like a winner, small leaves but longer extension than something like kotohime, will probably be easier to develop quickly.

Top Bottom