Acer palmatum "Orihime" where to get it from ?

D

Deleted member 21616

a little context is in order here @W3rk

this tree was made by ebihara, an engineer who was hailed as a genius and technical master for his work with maples. One of the most popular, useful, and insightful threads on this forum is one that is dedicated to the discussion of his work.

you don’t have to ‘like’ his work to appreciate that he was interested in doing something very specific in, with and for the art of bonsai, the same way you don’t have to like warhol’s campbell’s soup, pollock’s work, or frederic church’s use of light in landscape to be able to appreciate what they were doing in, with, and for art

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
a little context is in order here @W3rk

this tree was made by ebihara, an engineer who was hailed as a genius and technical master for his work with maples. One of the most popular, useful, and insightful threads on this forum is one that is dedicated to the discussion of his work.

you don’t have to ‘like’ his work to appreciate that he was interested in doing something very specific in, with and for the art of bonsai, the same way you don’t have to like warhol’s campbell’s soup, pollock’s work, or frederic church’s use of light in landscape to be able to appreciate what they were doing in, with, and for art
Agreed and understood, I'm familiar with the idea behind the practice. I certainly appreciate the technique and "engineering" of arranging and organizing the root growth and the use of a board. I just think that, as in that example, the root base is over developed to the point of being absurd looking. Such is the world of art and aesthetics, in the end personal taste is just that, personal.

N-tropy

Seedling
Reaction score
Still searching for an online source of Acer palmatum "Orihime".

win320

Mame
Reaction score
I just read an article on Bonsai Focus Magazine on "Orihime" and "Maihime" - January/February 2021

It is claimed to be a new chapter for maple bonsai with the discovery of a very small-leafed variety, especially for Mame and Shohin size bonsai.
1639446238328.png

I saw the demo in person in Saitama Japan in 2017 WBC where master Tomohiro Masumi demonstrated work on this variety. It has very tiny leaves.

Link of the demo [TURN ON the English subtitles]

I am also looking for this variety, looks exciting.

Top Bottom