Acer palmatum placement

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi everyone!

Im new to the forum but I a long time lurker.

I just added a new piece to my small collection.

An acer palmatum that I want since years now.
I read some basic care through the years and I think I will be able to take good care of it.

My question is about placement in my backyard...
My backyard is facing full south so the whole backyard is under the sun pretty much all day long.
For now the tree is placed in a shading spot where it receive direct sun from around 11h30 to 19h00 and I read that it should be the opposite, from what I read it should get sun in the morning and get shade in the afternoon.

I would like to have your opinion on the matter.

This picture shows morning sun and the placement of the tree
Screenshot_20210719-114054_Maps.jpg
Picture of the backyard around 11h00
20210719_114149.jpg

The tress getting partial sun at around 11h00 full sun will be at around 13h
20210719_114409.jpg

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In my personal experience, its very climate/location dependent. My trees are in full sun almost all day. Except when we have crazy weather, like we recently had, it causes no ill effect and they grow exceedingly well.

Reactions: Ugo

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So much depends on the local climate and weather. We don't have any idea how far north or south you are or which part of the world. You will see that most members have added a location to their profile so it is easier for others to give better advice based on the location.

JM do get burnt leaves if the sun is strong so it is usually better to get shade from stronger afternoon sun but in some places afternoon sun is not hot enough to hurt. Sun tolerance is also related to water so if watering is really good you may be able to get away with more sun but if the soil is dry sometimes that will increase leaf burn.

You could try the current site and see what happens. Leaf burn is not a death sentence and trees will usually recover. A few scorched edges is also OK and in many places is inevitable but if the leaves start to look too bad I would find a shadier place for the tree or make some shading for the current location.

Reactions: Ugo

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Thanks for your replies.
I just updated my profile with the infos.

Im located in Qc, Canada which seems to be Zone 6a.

We do have the four seasons here, including some hard winters even if it can't be compared to temperature experienced up North.
Temperature can go from 95F + in summer to -30F + during winter

I will defenately inspect the foliage regularly and adjust the placement if needed.
I only have the tree since 2 days now. So far so good everything seems fine.

Thanks
Hugo

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have a nice canopy that could give JM shelter. Nowhere to put a table for a tree in there? If you can protect from midday sun, 10 to 2, that would be very good.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Be carefull of the wind in case you have some. It isn't apreciated at all by JM and it can stop the growth + burnt leaves

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi and thanks again for your answers.

I decided to follow the advise from Forsoothe! and put the tree under a "natural' canopy.
I have this little tree in the north end of the yard who will protect the acer from mid-day sun.
The Acer will get the morning sun until noon and partial sun to shade from that time.
Following Clem advise this place see almost no wind or atleast nothing strong.
As you can see nothing fancy here but I want to wait until Im sure its a good placement.20210721_180931.jpg

Top Bottom